Solve my Monitoring! :)

Clockwork Creep

Power User
Hi there,
i have a nice zilla 5U rack case.
So previously I had this in my rack: Axe FX 2 (Later it post called "axe"), a Tablet pc, An audio interface (later in post called "AI"), IEM system, and a matrix power amp. The Axe and the AI were hooked up to the Tablet pc via USB.
I was using the tablet pc and the audio interface to play backing tracks, a clicktrack, provide MIDI signals to the Axe to change presets, and I was using VST's on vocals. All from REAPER. The axe was hooked up to the Audio interface through SPDIF. I could mix all these signals in REAPER to provide individual mixes for each band member, that went to the wireless IEM device, and the headphones out. There are three band members. I, and the bassist are wireless mono, and the drummer is wired.
I could control the mixes through OSC, on my phone, which was kinda cool.

However, This setup is overcomplicated and not completely reliable. I want something completely plug and play.
I had many problems with it in the past. Most notively: The computer randomly glitching and making us fall out of rhythm. That is a big deal.
Also, REAPER not sending midi, because I turned on the Axe too late, latency, and so on.
There were two shows that I thought won't happen at all, because the tablet pc was just not working...

I thought I'd get rid of computers all together and get a reliable, dedicated device for backing tracks.
So I bought this:
https://www.thomann.de/gb/cymatic_audio_live_player_lp_16.htm

This device will play backing tracks, and clicktracks, and will change my Axe FX patches at the same time. Perhaps I will use the Axe for vocal FX too.
Should be a stable setup! I should receive it on friday or something... I will also save two rack spaces (No audio interface and pc!).

However, there's one thing I've lost: How do I mix all my signals for headphone monitoring?

I have some options:
We could just give the signals to the sound guy during shows, and make him/her do our headphone mixes. However, it's better if we don't bother the sound guy about our individual mixes at all. It was kinda cool that we didn't have to do that. This prolongs our soundcheck ant stuff... Also, we don't have a good enough mixer at our rehearsal space to do it. Also, what if it's a show where we bring all our own gear? I'd have to buy a serious mixer... and those cost a lot...
Would be nice if I could buy a small mixer that would fit in the rack, that has 6 inputs, and 3 outputs, and lets me make individual mixes for each output (Only setting volume for each input is enough). However, I don't know if these exist?... Mixers I've seen are either too small or too big and expensive for what I want to use it for.
Maybe I could build one myself if I tried really hard.
Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Take a look at what touring pros use, spend as much as you can, and build your own system. I did that minus in ear monitoring.

I saw pros using Mac based systems with DAW digital performer. I saw other pros using Metric Halo for digital mixing and effects. That took care of automation, routing and effects. And each was very reliable for external midi control. Combined with axe-fx, it was possible (with right midi control device) to have instant random access to any song and its associated Axefx patch and vocal FX. Upon song start, the DAW could automate everything from there.

The secret weapon for me was the Gordius Little Giant. I use its built in 2-way midi, USB interface, and extremely powerful configurability. It serves as master control of everything. The system I built is instant, seamless, rock solid, and doesn't require taking hands off guitar or even turning away from audience. And it's random: choose any song, any time and you're off to the races as fast as you can select your pickup and roll up guitar volume knob.

You can probably find a plug and play all in one. But as you learned, that often comes with unacceptable constraints.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom