SoloAWeek Suggestions/Requests

Cooper Carter

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
Hey guys,

I've been so swamped with things lately that I've skipped some weeks here and there, but I'm getting back on schedule with a vengeance for SoloAWeek.

Having said that, I'm taking requests for some of the forthcoming SoloAWeek installments. I've done most of my favorite lesser-known solos at this point and am resisting the urge to do some of the best ones that are super popular and overdone.

I'm also reeeeally fighting the urge to do more JP, EJ, and EC, as I already know most of their solos and they are my favorites. But I've already done several from each of those guys.

So...aside from solos by those guys...

Anything anyone would like to see done and have a lesson for? Leave a comment below. If I pick the solo, I'll give ya a shout out in the video :)

Cheers,

Cooper

Another fun Elliot Easton solo with the Cars: Shake It Up

Brad Gillis with Night Ranger: Sentimental Street (whammy technique)

Obviously not the toughest technical pieces, but solos that blow if you don't hit the players style right.

An old fave, Kid Charlemagne by Steely Dan (I think this was Larry Carlton, if memory serves)

Thanks for your work on it.

Like a Hurricane - Neil Young
Aqualung - Martin Barre (Jethro Tull)

Last edited:
Yea, it sure is! I've seen Mark's video and am going to dive into it more. Unfortunately, even though Mark shows how to play it he goes thru it pretty fast and I can't quite translate it to my fingers yet ;-) There's a couple of good tabs on Ultimate Guitar that'll help too.

Main problem is, it's just not the style I usually play, so it's hard for me to really get through how Mark demos it. This is a song that I really feel needs to be played right on... for a lot of songs I can play something close, nail the signature licks, and add my own style (translated: "I can't really play it, so here's what you get..." ;-) but on Hurricane I'd prefer not to play it if I can't nail it. It's easily the hardest one I've had to learn for this band, and it's one that enough people in the audience know that I think it *should* be played right. After we learned Crazy Train (which everyone thinks is so hard but really isn't hard for me), my bandmates think I can play anything ;-)

When I really want to push myself I'd rather be learning Petrucci and Carlton. Too bad they don't go over quite so well in clubs ;-)

Back
Top Bottom