Solo boosting volume

How do you boost your volume for solos with the AX8? The TC Electronic Nova System has a volume boost, that raises the volume *after* the distortion stage so you get more volume, not more compression/break-up/sustain. I don't see something like this on the AX8, but maybe it doesn't need it. Can you just trigger an identical scene that has a louder master volume on the amp model? Is there a better way on the AX8 to boost volume for solos?
Thanks

gotw, looks like you have received some answers. I just received my AX8 this week after having been using a Nova System the last couple years. I would also add to the above options, and there are others as well, you can simply do an X&Y switch with the amp block and boost whatever part of the amp you want boosted while in Y mode.

You are going to love this beast!! The chorus and reverb absolutely destroy the Nova System. It is a bit of a learning curve, but actually more intuitive than the Nova once you get the hang of it. Chris@AxeFxTutorial's intro video was very helpful. I am just at the tip of the iceberg, but I have a Nova System for sale. ;-0

I have a Boss FV-500L expression pedal that I use for this. The reason I use the Boss is that it has an adjustable pot for the minimum value. So you set it to full range to calibrate it with the AX8. Then you assign it to the global volume control. The you adjust the minimum level on the FV-500L. So heal down is my rhythm volume and toe down is my solo volume. What's nice about this is you can bring your level up somewhere in between as well for a little oomph and emphasis on a part without blaring at solo volume.

The other nice thing about this approach is that you don't have to program in a block on every patch for this.

There are a few other expression pedals that can do this like Roland EV-5.

You are right - I should have written after AMP block. I just always put CAB right after AMP, so to me, they are more or less the same.
Ah, gotcha ok thanks. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on some secret magic mojo or something. Thanks for the tip about the filter block before the time based effects though. I had it after my fx and fixed all my presets last night.

I have a Boss FV-500L expression pedal that I use for this. The reason I use the Boss is that it has an adjustable pot for the minimum value. So you set it to full range to calibrate it with the AX8. Then you assign it to the global volume control. The you adjust the minimum level on the FV-500L. So heal down is my rhythm volume and toe down is my solo volume. What's nice about this is you can bring your level up somewhere in between as well for a little oomph and emphasis on a part without blaring at solo volume.

The other nice thing about this approach is that you don't have to program in a block on every patch for this.

Isn't setting the minimum value an AX8 thing - non-specific to the expression pedal?

Also, I thought about doing this but then you are dedicating an expression pedal for JUST solo boost, so you have to carry a separate thing which can easily be set up as a switch on the existing unit. You can do a switch for FULL boost and another for half boost or something. Of course, it's personal preference. :)

Isn't setting the minimum value an AX8 thing - non-specific to the expression pedal?

Also, I thought about doing this but then you are dedicating an expression pedal for JUST solo boost, so you have to carry a separate thing which can easily be set up as a switch on the existing unit. You can do a switch for FULL boost and another for half boost or something. Of course, it's personal preference. :)

The minimum value is controlled by the expression pedal. The global volume doesn't have a way to specify a minimum volume.

Yes it requires dedicating an expression pedal for volume control. It's worth it to me because I like having subtle control and the fact that I don't need to program it into each patch and dedicate a switch to it. Carrying an extra expression pedal is no big deal to me. I also do the same thing with my GP-10 and also real amps with a volume pedal in the effects loop.

Tim, I'm just reading this now. Does either pedal require using a TRS cable? Thanks

+1 on this. This is the same pedal and approach I use. Very convenient!

All this methods are nice but none of them can reach two objectives: one is to modify eq to cut trough the mix and the other one is to increase the solo volume globally in every solo patch.
To do that with axe fx you use an eq or drive pedal and in the same patch a global volume block after amp block in every solo patch.
Any suggestion on how to reach this two goals with ax8?

Back
Top Bottom