Solo boost db?

sunil999

Hi I play in a rock/metal band ... I have my solo boost set to +6db
When I use my Qsc k12 stand alone it it's ok
But recently we are playing bigger gigs and my tech usually puts left 1/4 output going to my Qsc and Xlr output he gets the Xlr cable from one of the vocal mics to go Foh ... I played a few gigs and the boost was tooooooo loud , would like to know where you guys set your boosts in a set up like this to cut through
Thanks

I go anywhere from 4-7 db's, depending on the patch. I also set up my expression pedal so I can adjust the boost db's on the fly with it. I find dirty sounds to need less of a db boost, probably due to the compression of the dirt.

If using a FILTER block to do the boost either X/Y or use a second FILTER block with a solo setting for FOH. If using the AMP block output you could still use the X/Y.

I use a different preset with the level increased to +6db boost from rhythm preset ,, to solo is +6db too much?

Last edited:
Depends on how I'm boosting, +3 if I'm not boosting a specific frequency seems to work pretty well without dominating the mix. If I'm boosting a specific freq say 900Hz then I will go as much as +6dB.

I use the para eq and cut a bit of lows and boost broadly around 1.5k a few db and the 4 db overall. I find the low cut let's me use less db with same result.

No one uses the Output mixer to boost per scene? I do it that way to avoid using another block and CPU power.

I've been using a vol block at the end of the grid to attenuate all but my lead scene. Lets me set all scenes to 0dB on the VU meter and then back off by X dB for all but lead. Easier to change your mind about the lead boost level since you don't have to rebalance all the other scenes.

I use a GEQ after the cab, 5 band passive mode.

I prefer to boost the mids and use less overall level boost. The middle slider of the 5 band passive GEQ works perfect for my cleans and dirty presets to get me over the mix without too much apparent level increase.

About 3 - 4 db boost works for me usually. Although else tends to be too loud, unless your fighting through a horn section or something.

It's certainly feasible to use the Output vol per Scene .... but I jockey the guitar volume to clean up or get juicier a lot and sometimes just want a straight clean boost of whatever Scene I'm on ..... so a boost block works best for me

Down side to using output mixer is that it boosts everything. If you've got a looper block going at the end of the grid and then kick on an output mixer boost, the looped audio gets boosted too. Same goes for delay and reverb hold features too. Not a big deal, but it's something to keep in mind.

I don't use scenes that often but I do try to keep their levels pretty close because of this. I usually put a Filter or EQ in front or after the amp depending on what I want to do - boost with a bit more drive, or straight boost... often I'll have both in one preset for different purposes. Easier for me to control that way, and like maxdown said then I can just kick in a boost at any time I want. And then if I am using scenes I can set the filter/eq blocks to kick in along w/ whatever else I want, and the overall output of the scene doesn't change and doesn't affect delay/reverb levels.

I use between 0.3 and 4.5 db via a filter block at the end of my chain. Depends on the amp type/sound that determines the boost. What I run into is we have a dedicated sound guy/system we use...so those boosts are all built in regards to his system settings (digital board with settings saved, hell we hardly have to sound check anymore)....when we play a place like this Friday in Green Bay where they have In-house sound...if the gain setting on the board for my channel is +/- from what my sound guy has...the lead boosts are either minimalized or over exaggerated and there isnt a great way to fix that globally with 100+ presets in my setlist.

Unless someone has a tip for that. I do have 2 buttons set to globally adjust +/- the output db for that preset, but it has to be done on the fly and is a pain...and looks stupid on stage.

Sounds like either your sound guy, the other guys or both have a compressor on your channel. Remove it or make sure the compressors are set exactly the same

There are many ways to skin a cat, and Ax8 has many ways to set a boost.

1)a filter or EQ block.
2) level parameter in any block
3) scene controller attached to the level parameter of any block other than amp. Cab block works best for me.
4) scene level in output block.
5) vol block.

I think, it's important to try a few different ways and then choose ONE. I have one preset per song, which is 40+ presets at this point, and I have done I in a few different ways. It is really confusing to go back and edit these presets , because I first have to figure out, how I skinned the cat for that particular preset.

I like a flat boost with +5 dB using a filter block, and maybe add extra low and high cuts.

Back
Top Bottom