Solid State Stereo Combo Amp - Anyone?

TyPie

I consider myself fortunate to have access to a couple of different amps with my FM9. One has got me really curious.

I have a late 1980's 'Red Knob' Fender Power Chorus - a solid state stereo chorusing amp, 30 years old or so, with 2 channels, a boost, stereo effects loop, pre-amp bypass, power amp in, and (I believe) 2 12" Fender 'special' Celestion speakers. This was a direct competitor to the Roland Jazz Chorus amps, is loud as hell if you want it to be, with crystal-clear cleans, spectacular (if you ask me) chorusing, and many options for effects connections.
In the past 30 years or so, I have used it heavily for "general business" gigs in a very simple set-up with a couple of effects pedals directly into channel 1, and that's it. It has had a single pot replaced in its lifetime.

I gotta believe that this would sound fantastic with the Fractal.

I must admit that I do not have much experience using an amp's effects loop, and I simply have not had the time to sit down and try out different FM9 connections.
I would really appreciate finding out if anyone is using this type of amp with their Fractal units, and any suggestions, best practices, pros and cons for using this type of setup, with / without effects loop from the Fractal users here. The gigs I tend to do the most are weddings, banquets, parties with a wide variety of music, and occasional classic rock gigs.

Any insight will be much appreciated. Thanks much, in advance!

Last edited:
I would really appreciate finding out if anyone is using this type of amp with their Fractal units, and any suggestions, best practices, pros and cons for using this type of setup, with / without effects loop from the Fractal users here. The gigs I tend to do the most are weddings, banquets, parties with a wide variety of music, and occasional classic rock gigs.
Start with Section 4 in the manual. The FM9 is very flexible and can be used in 4CM, or can treat the amp as only a power-amp.

Because you're relying on the speakers in that unit you most likely won't want Speaker modeling. Try with and without power-amp modeling; The Fender's power-amp shouldn't be coloring the sound but only your ears are the judge. The various pages in Section 4 will help you decide.

I'd recommend using a Humbuster cable when connecting to it. Note that a Humbuster is NOT the same as an XLR to 1/4" TS connector or a simple 1/4" TRS to 1/4" TS, it's a special wiring. If you're not handy with a soldering iron then look at BTPA.com's Fractal section as they make great cables.

Bumping this, how are you liking it?

I see my local used shop has a Fender Princeton Chorus red knob that might be really fun for stereo use with the Fractal.

Jarick, that is my thinking with the stereo Power Chorus. (I believe the Princeton Chorus was the successor to the Power Chorus (??? Don't quote me on that).
As for using FM9 through it, I wish I could be more help, but I haven't had any time at all to check it out yet.

Jarick, that is my thinking with the stereo Power Chorus. (I believe the Princeton Chorus was the successor to the Power Chorus (??? Don't quote me on that).
As for using FM9 through it, I wish I could be more help, but I haven't had any time at all to check it out yet.

I ended up trying but passing on the amp. It was in mediocre condition and the knobs were all very scratchy. But it seemed like it would sound pretty good. Will keep my eye out for a clean one in the future.

Back
Top Bottom