Solid state power amp through analog cab?

VegasDude

Anyone have any luck or good combinations with using a solid state amp with a guitar cabinet? So far I'm really digging my new Axe FX. But for now, at least, I don't want to give up my guitar cabinet. But I AM ready to give up my Mesa Boogie 50/50 canon-ball-and-chain. I'm convinced of the ability of the power amp part of the signal chain. But I don't want to give up the feel of the backline. Any luck introducing a solid-state single-space power amp and plugging into a guitar cab? Or does that combination just ruin the whole tone?

Yes. Solid state power amplifiers with traditional guitar cabinets can yield incredible results when combined with the Axe-FX. Some people still prefer using a tube power amp with the models and that also sounds quite good. I have tired both and prefer the solid state approach. There are quite a few threads on this topic, so I would encourage you to do a search of the forum.

What you want to try will (can) work very well. I gigged that way for years with the Axe II, SS power amp, Mesa cab, and had good results… as have many others.
I’m recording and playing at home with the Axe III and a FRFR setup.
If you use a guitar cab, you want to disable the cab block in the global settings, as the IR’s would be coloring the sound (to a huge degree) and then colored again thru a guitar cab. You probably don’t want that.
Consider that a guitar cab will have its inherent ‘color’ in every preset you make.

What you want to try will (can) work very well. I gigged that way for years with the Axe II, SS power amp, Mesa cab, and had good results… as have many others.
I’m recording and playing at home with the Axe III and a FRFR setup.
If you use a guitar cab, you want to disable the cab block in the global settings, as the IR’s would be coloring the sound (to a huge degree) and then colored again thru a guitar cab. You probably don’t want that.
Consider that a guitar cab will have its inherent ‘color’ in every preset you make.
Thanks so much foe the feedback. Yeah, I was flipping through those global options and you can hear a huge difference. Do you have any recommendations on a single space SS PA?

Back
Top Bottom