Solid state Combo amp - power amp in? Boss Katana vs Line 6 Catalyst

Kfletch

Hey Fractal Fam, I’m hoping for some input in a decision. I’m probably way over thinking this but here goes…

Background: I have a pair of QSC K12.2s for our bands PA that we will run everything thru if we need to bring our own PA system. (Out 1 of FM9 to these). I also have been making my presets with these.

I was looking for something to provide some modest stage volume (that wouldn’t also have vocals/kick drum/bass in it).

I have a pair of Mesa Boogie Fillmore 50s that I’ve tried running Out 3 into the effects return and they sound great. But I don’t want to put the mileage on them unnecessarily if I can get a nice sound from a cheaper option. Also going into a tube power amp I’ve read colors the sound in a way a neutral solid state power amp wouldn’t.

I’m considering an FRFR cab like a Friedman ASC-10, Atomic CLR or EV PXM-12MP after reading these forums, but they are quite pricey!

I’m wondering for my purpose if I could get away with using a solid state combo like a boss katana or L6 catalyst. Maybe these have a fairly neutral power amp and might work? Looks like I could grab a pair of these for about half of one of the above FRFR options.

I’m grateful for any input! Thanks!!

I'm thinking that there is a very low chance of a Katana output driver and speaker being similar to a FRFR. I think you'd be better off looking at Quilter or just low-cost powered monitor wedges.

I have been curious about using the Katana Artist combo as a monitor solution (bypassing the pre amp section of the Katana all together). It's a class AB solid state 100 watt poweramp. The artist comes with the Wazacraft 12" speaker which is supposed to be Boss' version of a 100w "capable" greenback speaker. I've not tried this but I'm curious if someone else has.

The regular (non artist) Katanas do not have the Wazacraft speaker.

+ it would give you an instant backup rig if you need it.

First decide if you're looking for something more like a powered guitar cab or an FRFR.

The cheap FRFRs I hear most about are the Headrush ones, not great but short money. Going up from there, I use and like the EV PXM-12MP. They are somewhat more expensive, but not Meyer expensive, a good quality middle ground IMO.

i know less about powered guitar cabs, because I want the flexibility of different IRs emulating different speakers and cabs, instead of one real guitar cab that can only sound like itself. One of the Katana or solid state Mustang amps would probably do ok if you're ok w that limitation.

Last edited:
First decide if you're looking for something thing more like a powered guitar cab or an FRFR.

The cheap FRFRs I hear most about are the Headrush ones, not great but short money. Going up from there, I use and like the EV PXM-12MP. They are somewhat more expensive, bit not Meyer expensive, a good quality middle ground IMO.

i know less about powered guitar cabs, because I want the flexibility of different IRs emulating different speakers and cabs, instead of one real guitar cab that can only sound like itself. One of the Katana or solid state Mustang amps would probably do ok if you're ok w that limitation.
Thank you all for the responses. I took a look at the artist katana. The waza speaker is enticing. I’ll have to check out the mustang.

I may be leaning toward the EVs. I’m liking the versatility of being able to use them as a monitor as well.

Good problems to have!!

Hello!
I use a Katana 100 mkII combo on stage with FM3 and FM9. Using the power amp in its excellent, very loud if needed. You may want to boost highs a bit as the tones are a bit warm stock. For $250 it is well worth it.

Its (pwr amp in) is actually designated for Modellers. And you have a couple different settings for that input including flat iirc. Definitely 'not' as colored as a tube amp (return) in fx loop. As there is a separate fx loop in the katana. The other advantage I like is you control the overall volume at the Katana and can leave the FM3 all the way up vs having to use the Fm3 output knob. Also if you are using a amp fx return you would turn off power amp modelling and speaker emulation in FM3. I have a truer representation of the FM3 tone through the Katana.

Its (pwr amp in) is actually designated for Modellers. And you have a couple different settings for that input including flat iirc. Definitely 'not' as colored as a tube amp (return) in fx loop. As there is a separate fx loop in the katana. The other advantage I like is you control the overall volume at the Katana and can leave the FM3 all the way up vs having to use the Fm3 output knob. Also if you are using a amp fx return you would turn off power amp modelling and speaker emulation in FM3. I have a truer representation of the FM3 tone through the Katana.
I'll check this out. We have one in our rehearsal space for guests. If I can get a reasonable tone from it I'll buy another and sell my Atomics. Kidding, but I will be "colored surprised".

Hi JR, what did the Atomics cost? :)
For the money and overall performance imho the Katana is a good alternative to the much more expensive FRFR's, as well as weight and bulk savings. In my situation I am using it to hear my guitar behind me, I also send to FOH from FM3/FM9. Would like to hear your feedback after trying it. I have found using the .25wt setting and turned up past half way on the katana gets good feedback and punch.

1K each? But in addition to sounding great with my Fractals, they are also very versatile PA speakers, so they are hard to compare. So in some gigs I will blend in the House monitor with my gutar signal a a stage wedge. Or in the backline as a stage amp. Etc.

But the idea of a super light Katana that I could bring to smaller gigs and rehearsals and sound decent is appealing. Katanas have never sounded good to me, so we'll see :)

I definitely get that, I use to carry around my Marshall 4x10 cab and a SV20 head..some events upstairs... lol. Now I walk in with FM3 , guitar and Katana all at once.. :)

I run my FM9 through the power amp in section of my Katana 50 sometimes and it does not sound good compared to running directly to my PA system. The Katana is definitely coloring the sound heavily. I haven’t tried to tweak my presets to sound better through the Katana as I love the way they sound through headphones out on FM9 and my PA system.

It’s not just my presets. The factory presets also sound muddy through the Katana. I have been using the GOT Phil Collen preset quite a bit and it also doesn’t sound good through the Katana (when compared to direct to PA system). That said I can dial in excellent sound on the Katana itself and these FAS devices are so customizable that I’m sure you could tweak it to get it to sound good. Perhaps disabling the cab block or EQing the preset.

It’s fine for me to use the FM9 through the Katana for practice or to play a few songs for family, but it does sound much different than going through a PA system or even straight out to headphones. I do use the headphone jack on the Katana sometimes and it colors the tone as well.

I doesn’t bother me enough to tweak anything. I just know if I want it to sound really good I’ll run it through my PA. My PA is a Behringer iNuke3000 DSP. I love that PA. Anything I run through it sounds good.

Try it and see if you like it. Using the Katana power amp is fine for me when I need to use it, but my FM9 sounds much better direct through a PA or straight out of the headphone outs. If that’s all you have I’m sure you can tweak it to sound great. I just don’t bother as I like the way it sounds through my PA.

I have the Katana mkii artist and I tried it with the fm3. I compared it to the tech 21 power engine 60 I had been using, hoping for a slightly “bigger” sound in the room. I decided that the Katana didn’t really add much except about 10 pounds lol. Seriously, the power engine 60 held its own, weighs 31 lbs, and has a 3 band eq for different room/guitar tweaks. They can be found used typically well under 300 bones and are pretty hard to beat. Mine can be heard well at rehearsal with a loud drummer and bass and 2nd guitar. The only caveat I would throw out there is that any small box 112 combo you try is likely to be very directional, and the PE60 is definitely that. The katana, being a bigger box was slightly less directional, but the waza speaker to me didn’t seem to mate up as well with all the models and the amp didn’t sound any bigger despite the size, weight, and wattage difference. Hope that’s helpful.

Not bashing the Katana btw. it’s a great sounding amp and I ended up keeping it in my bedroom for short practice sessions when I take breaks during the work day.

I have a stereo wired avatar 212 sitting around I don’t use for anything, so I just bought an ISP Stealth to drive it. I’m gonna try running the FM9 stereo through that rig for some rehearsals I have coming up. I’ll try to circle back around and share how that goes.

I believe the the Katana speaker is a "guitar" speaker, so you'd probably want to disable the cab block in the FM9, and you give up on having a wide variety of cabs available.
Correct. That’s what I understand, it’s based on a Celestion sound, which is not a flat response. Turn off cab modeling in the Fractal, and expect that everything sounds like amplifier X through a Celestion speaker.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom