Solid State amps, are they going to be here someday?

I must be one of the few people that finds almost all SS amps to be very uninspiring judging by this thread, especially the Valvestate series. I spent the majority of my youth trying to avoid them, especially in the studio, which is very hard when your a penniless youngen working in the metal sphere.

Having said that, I would like to see a Trace Elliot Super Tramp Quad Chorus added to the lineup, mainly for nostalgic reasons but also because it was the best all round sounding SS amp I could find back in the day. Not really a compelling enough reason to invest the R&D time to add it IMHO but since we're asking.......
The only SS amp I ever liked was the Lab Series, never tried the Randall's and the rest.

must be one of the few people that finds almost all SS amps to be very uninspiring judging by this thread, especially the Valvestate series
Same. I don’t want to hurt anyone but… come on! they really asked à valvestate? Trolling? They were considered as the most crappy amps you can have. A bandit 112 is more legit! 🤣

Then everyone got their wishes hm. That’s surely pure nostalgia asking for their old **** they owned when they were 14.

Same. I don’t want to hurt anyone but… come on! they really asked à valvestate? Trolling? They were considered as the most crappy amps you can have. A bandit 112 is more legit! 🤣

Then everyone got their wishes hm. That’s surely pure nostalgia asking for their old **** they owned when they were 14.
Valvestates were used on some of the most iconic death metal albums of all time. You can personally dislike them but I really don't see the need for the thought that if you like a certain amp you must be having a mid life crisis. Not everything is for you or about you.

I have no preference, Musicman 112RD 50 with a huge EV-? 250? in t. Weighed a ton, sounded killer. was my amp for many, many years. Loved it. It was a HYBRID.
But is there really a "sound" you cannot get out of the Axefx? There isn't for me. Tubes or SS, makes no difference to me-it's the sound I get, not the schematic. Just sayin. I would love to have my MM back though-just because!
I do believe that people can wish and ask for whatever they want. Free speech and all.................

Last edited:

Might as well add in a Gorilla GG25 and one of those Crate SS amps too. 🫢

That’s surely pure nostalgia asking for their old **** they owned when they were 14.

As someone who has been down this rabbit hole for real. I'm only 26 years old, I am nowhere near old enough to have experienced the solid state amps "era". It really just comes down to obsessing over the bands you like. I don't think ANYONE has actual nostalgia for these amps, maybe a tiny few but completely over-numbered. There's basically 3 camps.

1) The biggest camp for obvious reasons, the Dimebag fans. Randalls.

2) Death fans. So the Valvestate.

3) The Suffocation/Dying Fetus etc fans. The Ampeg VH series. This was the camp I was heavily in for the longest time before realizing finally I agree with the literal bands themselves that the 6505/Engl Savage etc all sound better than a VH140c in every way.

I've done it myself, bought the VH. Compared it to a 6505. I genuinely wish I could save all the people going down this stupid rabbit hole. I am sure I'm not going to get the most nice responses but genuinely, me trying to get anyone out of this rabbit hole I assure you, it's out of love.

Super retro pre-AI whatever.

Old mechanical "stupid" appliances, guitars, amps and fx you can't even have a conversation with and that can't even learn what you like within a few minutes of training.

I have no desire for a model of a solid state amp, but respect that some may. Reading y'uns list made me wonder what about the Marshall Mosfet 3310 and hybrids: 3203 and Mode 4?

I completely agree, I think this is a weird nostalga/trolling.

I was gigging out when Valvestate was released, we hated them - and I always avoided them, they were very much 'poor mans Marshall' and just weren't that good sorry.

Now maybe you can get a certain sound out of them, but can anyone honestly say - if you turned up to a gig where there was a 5150, a Recto, a JCM800 and a Valvestate - they'd choose the latter? mmm

I love the comment on the Bandit, I recorded with one of those a lot in the 89-90 range, they weren't amazing in the room - but mic'd up with some reverb and delay sounded great. But the sound we were getting with those was.....

JCM800 with a TS (effectively)

I'd speculate that unless a solid-state amp has very special qualities (1 of a kind, made of pure Unobtanium, etc), opening up the platform to just adding "solid-state amps because" isn't going to happen or it'd already be in the lineup.

completely agree, I think this is a weird nostalga/trolling.

I was gigging out when Valvestate was released, we hated them - and I always avoided them, they were very much 'poor mans Marshall' and just weren't that good sorry.

I’m sad that people begins to argue that’s not the goal at all😔.
In the 90’s, when we were “poor” and wanted to start a band, we need these 100w combo minimum to play with a drummer. Marshall 8080… bandit 112… the choice was very small…
The tone was so bad and so different from the metal record we listened too that we plugged a metal zone or a dod death metal on it . the combo metal zone/ 100w as combo is a basic.

these series killed completely Marshall reputation for decades. “What? A Marshall? It sound like shit! Etc i ve heard this millions of time . Because a Marshall wasn’t a tube stack anymore in their mind but these 300 bucks combos.

This is history. Then I talked about my experience, in europe, I was there, you too it seems.

The old death metal bands didn’t play with the dist of the amp but external pedals .

I’m sure you can do it with the axe. Start with a Marshall, cut the mids … boost it…

I completely agree, I think this is a weird nostalga/trolling.

Now maybe you can get a certain sound out of them, but can anyone honestly say - if you turned up to a gig where there was a 5150, a Recto, a JCM800 and a Valvestate - they'd choose the latter? mmm

I love the comment on the Bandit, I recorded with one of those a lot in the 89-90 range, they weren't amazing in the room - but mic'd up with some reverb and delay sounded great. But the sound we were getting with those was.....

JCM800 with a TS (effectively)

Honestly, where do you get off calling other members 'trolls', just because they might want something that you don't?

As for 'weird nostalgia': asking for a SS Marshall, or Session, or Laney, or Peavey, or Crate from the 90s is odd, but wanting 70 year old classic tweeds is fine?

If you started a thread asking for the latest RevvMarMesaSol 100W valve amp to be modelled, I might not agree that resources should be used to achieve it, but I would feel arrogant and self-serving if I called you a 'troll' because of it.

From several posters to this thread, we have a list of at least 10 SS amps that have been identified as having some kind of merit, so it's clear that this is far from just a few agitators being peverse.

Nobody is lauding SS amps as being the pinnacle of tone, but like a Ford Fiesta vs. a Porsche 911, everything has its strengths and its uses.

Honestly, where do you get off calling other members 'trolls', just because they might want something that you don't?
Because when you own a 3k axe fx3 and you ask for the tone of a cheap 300 bucks combo that was hated by everyone, sorry but... Then don’t analyze all my worlds as I am not English/American and it can be that’s some things sound bigger than I wanted.

Because when you own a 3k axe fx3 and you ask for the tone of a cheap 300 bucks combo that was hated by everyone, sorry but... Then don’t analyze all my worlds as I am not English/American and it can be that’s some things sound bigger than I wanted.

To be clear, you'll see I was quoting Peteri.

However "hated by everyone" is a blinkered statement when - as I said in my previous post - we have many SS amps identified by several forumites that have merit.

And so what if it's "a 3k axe fx3"? I'm interested to know your price limit for what is 'allowed' in the Axe Fx? Are we going to start a clear-out of the £100/$100 pedals because they're so cheap and nasty?...

To be clear, you'll see I was quoting Peteri.

However "hated by everyone" is a blinkered statement when - as I said in my previous post - we have many SS amps identified by several forumites that have merit.

And so what if it's "a 3k axe fx3"? I'm interested to know your price limit for what is 'allowed' in the Axe Fx? Are we going to start a clear-out of the £100/$100 pedals because they're so cheap and nasty?...
We can continue like this all day long. It’s useless. There is also a wish section in the forum for these type of request. Bye

Back
Top Bottom