Soften delay repeats attack

Josetxu

Inspired
Is there a way to do that?. I don't mean the repeats volume, only the attack, so the repeats blend smoothly, more of an atmosferic way.

Use Diffusion to smear the delay repeats.

Another approach:

- move the Delay to a parallel row (adjust Mix/Level/Bypass mode for parallel fx)
- add a Volume block before the Delay, and attach the Volume parameter to the Envelope Follower
- tweak the Envelope settings

High cutting the delay around 3500 helps. I read an article about Gilmour where he supposedly sets the repeat time to coincide with the song tempo to hide the repeats on occasion.

Another approach:

- move the Delay to a parallel row (adjust Mix/Level/Bypass mode for parallel fx)
- add a Volume block before the Delay, and attach the Volume parameter to the Envelope Follower
I didn't know that was what Diffusion did. I've wanted to do this also. I'll try it.

Depending on what you are playing, a little ducking may help too. The release time will cause a sort of swell back as it fills the spaces. Plus, this can also create the perception that echoes overall are louder than they are, which reduces the effect I think you're objecting to.

Thanks for all the replies, I'll try them.

I've been messing with the drive parameter both in the mono tape and the 2290 delay types:

It seems to work.

This is the preset I've used:

Attachments

• Pruebas delay.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 6

Another approach:

I really wish there was a default user defined bypass mode. I always put my delay and verb parallel and sometimes forget about the bypass mode, until things start clipping.

Running a delay in parallel is an easy fix. Also you can add an EQ block after the delay to cut some hi end or lows as needed.

That's the style of delay I'm going after: There's a lot of pick attack but the delay is smooth. Only on the 2006 tour versions you hear clearly the delay repeats. On other versions (Pulse, Pompeii, etc...) the repeats doesn't have so much attack.

That's the style of delay I'm going after: There's a lot of pick attack but the delay is smooth. Only on the 2006 tour versions you hear clearly the delay repeats. On other versions (Pulse, Pompeii, etc...) the repeats doesn't have so much attack.

Tape Delay will sound much smoother / rounder than digital delays types.

Back
Top Bottom