So when is the waitlist open!

Well, according to this thread I'm number 11 on the list. This has got to be the leading source on fractal products right? Just contemplating wait times.
It was pretty quickly cross-posted to various FB groups and other forums, so I'm sure there are plenty of others on the list who aren't posting here. IOW, you should probably double or quadruple your "place-in-line" estimate. Sorry :(

Got an idea for a great promo, lets guess our number in line, since only FAS knows what it is, the member that gets its number right gets a free AX8 or a free expression pedal.

Reactions: sam
Late to the party, but in.

Had to test another product for myself before deciding. No comparison. I have a little more testing to do, but I'm looking forward to receiving the invite for the AX8.

I really wasn't planning on it, immediately. There just really is no comparison, and this will be so simple to grab and go (AX8, one exp pedal, my Xitone 2x12; easy load in and out).

LaPointe! You're everywhere dude! ;)

Guys, I'm starting to be a little concerned about the amount of FX blocks we're gonna get with the AX8. Well not 'concerned' per se, but just wondering why the FX8 is 'only' 50bucks cheaper than the AX8. Is it just because of it's I/Os ??

Late to the party, but in.

Had to test another product for myself before deciding.

Joining the waitlist is free. Join first, decide later.

It's what I did (fyi, I was 'in' within 10 minutes of that 'ready, set, GO post').

It seems ridiculous since I've already got the Axe-FX and my FX8 sitting right here, but I'll almost definitely buy an AX8 when my invite comes. Because I think the AX8, for my purposes, can acceptably replace BOTH my Axe-FX and my FX8.

Originally I bought the FX8 for live band use and planned to keep the Axe-FX for recording and quiet home play. Already sold my MFC.

If AX8 price had been closer to 2 grand like I was expecting, I would have passed on it and stuck with what I have. But at $1399, I can't say no.

I know the AX8 will do the job my Axe-FX does now.. I don't really use complex, cpu-hungry presets for my recorded music. Already have DAW interfaces.

I THINK the AX8 will work just as well with my tube amps live, for my case. I'm currently not using the relays anyway, and for 4cm... well it's still unknown whether there will be any true audible benefit to the FX8's 'optimized' signal path. I'll be able to compare directly, side by side.. but my guess is that AX8 will do the job just fine.

Well not 'concerned' per se, but just wondering why the FX8 is 'only' 50bucks cheaper than the AX8. Is it just because of it's I/Os ??

Cliff said the FX8 has relays and 4cm-related circuitry that are expensive. But then again, he also said way back the AX8 would be 'aggressively priced', which is more of a sales related, market share kind of a statement. The AX8 has to go straight up against Helix.

Most likely (imo), when comparing AX8 to FX8, FAS plans to make less margin but sell shitloads more units to make up for it and then some.

Guys, I'm starting to be a little concerned about the amount of FX blocks we're gonna get with the AX8. Well not 'concerned' per se, but just wondering why the FX8 is 'only' 50bucks cheaper than the AX8. Is it just because of it's I/Os ??

Do we need to charge you with FX Abuse? Take away your multi delay rights? ;)

I THINK the AX8 will work just as well with my tube amps live, for my case. I'm currently not using the relays anyway, and for 4cm... well it's still unknown whether there will be any true audible benefit to the FX8's 'optimized' signal path. I'll be able to compare directly, side by side.. but my guess is that AX8 will do the job just fine.

Would love to hear a comparison. I also expected the AX8 to come in at $2,000 and was really close to pulling the trigger on the FX8 when Cliff posted the AX8 price. Initially, I will use it with a tube amp, so the FX8 sounds like a better fit, but I want to have the options the AX8 brings.

Already covered in other threads and apparently above... But basically, 8-10 effects blocks (I assume due to the use of the AxeFX grid which I hope will be added to the FX8 for the same purpose) subject to available DSP (upcoming firmware tightens up code so certain resource hungry blocks use less dsp).

The cost difference. The FX8 has expensive op amps, relays and other parts that make it work better in 4cm. I think the screen looks smaller. Some of those parts are not in the AX8 and that makes up for at least some of the cost of the second dsp and other hardware differences. Maybe add a little onto the AX8 for the amp/cab/ir code work.

the final FX8 price doesn't have much to do with the final AX8 price.

the FX8 was the first venture into a floor-based product and it has certain costs associated with it most likely due to R&D as well as specific hardware included in it that is expensive for its quality.

the AX8 benefitted from the R&D of the FX8 and has different some hardware components due to the different purpose, which happens to not be as expensive. also, it's no secret that the AX8 will outsell the FX8 since most people are interested in the modeling. with that in mind, FAS could price it aggressively lower.

it makes sense that people view the FX8 solely as an "AX8 without Amp modeling" and then jump to "Amp modeling only costs $50 more" but that is completely incongruent and there is way more to it then that.

the final FX8 price doesn't have much to do with the final AX8 price.

the FX8 was the first venture into a floor-based product and it has certain costs associated with it most likely due to R&D as well as specific hardware included in it that is expensive for its quality.

the AX8 benefitted from the R&D of the FX8 and has different some hardware components due to the different purpose, which happens to not be as expensive. also, it's no secret that the AX8 will outsell the FX8 since most people are interested in the modeling. with that in mind, FAS could price it aggressively lower.

it makes sense that people view the FX8 solely as an "AX8 without Amp modeling" and then jump to "Amp modeling only costs $50 more" but that is completely incongruent and there is way more to it then that.

I thought that at least some portion of the design was done intentionally to share certain design costs between the two units. Such as the design and production of the chassis. There are also the savings in bulk purchases of shared components such as the DSPs etc... It will be interesting to see gut shots of both side by side to see how much they actually share!

I should find it and quote it, but I Cliff posted something about shared parts of coding or firmware, so there are shared software aspects as well.

Last edited:
I thought that at least some portion of the design was done intentionally to share certain design costs between the two units. Such as the design and production of the chassis. There are also the savings in bulk purchases of shared components such as the DSPs etc... It will be interesting to see gut shots of both side by side to see how much they actually share!

agreed. perhaps they did intend to share things between the 2 devices, but FX8 seems to have come first and perhaps R&D costs are in there.

Ooooo I am so lucky today.. I got on the wait list... One could be kicked off the wait list because wait list would fill up and then u we have to wait for the wait list to open.

Thrilled to be on the wait list at last

so you think the FX8 will keep being sold? :)

absolutely. it's a great solution for those who use real amps and want Fractal quality effects.

i think the biggest aversion to the FX8 right now is the accessibility of the switches, forcing ONLY Scenes, or ONLY Stomps, etc. the next firmware update which should allow a mix a switches will be a HUGE benefit and make it much more gig-friendly for the typical "no setlist" sort of gigs.

Ooooo I am so lucky today.. I got on the wait list... One could be kicked off the wait list because wait list would fill up and then u we have to wait for the wait list to open. Thrilled to be on the wait list at last

The wait list never fills up. There is no limit to how many people can get on the list. The list is not limited to the number of units that will be initially available. You will get an invitation to buy when your email address come up to the top of the list. How soon that will be is a guess...

Back
Top Bottom