So, rec'd my PRS S2 SC McCarty 594 today

Stratman68

Axe-Master
I am happy with the guitar. I ordered the Phase III tuners the same time I ordered the guitar. Haven't rec'd the tuners yet./ Love the guitar. As Phil McKnight said in the video I posted in the other thread if he only had the S2 McCarty in his room the pickups would have been OK. But we all heard the difference. Right now I am not worried about that. Love the neck. Biggest frets I have ever used but that's cool.

Only issue is the factory , according to guys on the PRS forum, set the action high. well it's really high. Been playing it as is but it needs to come down. Was easy with my Strats because you could adjust the saddle heights individually. So I have to use the thumb wheels on the bridge. Not going to do it tonight. Just going to play.
Not a big deal. Neck is fast and straight....Tuners actually are OK but I like lockers for the ease of restringing and the phase III 's look cool.
Anyway, thanks for all the help you folks gave me when I was procrastinating and trying to decide what the heck to get.
So with the tuners I am now up to $1,900. I probably will want a case down the road but not now, maybe never, I don't play out. If I go jam it's usually with my Strat. Not a real good pict due to light over my head. But hey, I'm happy. Kooks much nicer in person.

Attachments

• PRS S2 SC McCarty 594b.jpg
    PRS S2 SC McCarty 594b.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 120
Congratulations! Nice looking guitar. I love my PRS. It has turned out to be my go to guitar. It was originally slated to be a studio only guitar too good to play out With. Ended up liking it so much that I play it when the band gigs out. Too much fun to leave it at home. Hope you enjoy it as much as I have. Cheers!

Purdy. Congrats.
Yes-uh Thanks :) The body top actually looks so much nicer for real. That stupid light above me made it look-weird...........
Been playing it all night. I do like the neck and RW FB. My Strats all have maple. The pickups sound good to me....I'm Happy. didn't even lower the action yet....

Question-Anyone ever throw 9-42's on a PRS? I searched and found some SE owners use 9's.
I am way too use to 9-42's (before that 9-40 fender bullets)-Ah, about 35+ years worth. I use the NYXL's, I love those strings. Use to use Ernie Balls until I found the NYXL's.
Thanks

Question-Anyone ever throw 9-42's on a PRS? I searched and found some SE owners use 9's.
I am way too use to 9-42's (before that 9-40 fender bullets)-Ah, about 35+ years worth. I use the NYXL's, I love those strings. Use to use Ernie Balls until I found the NYXL's.
Thanks
Yea, a long time ago I used to run them on my Standard 24. Needed a tweak after switching from the 10s, but worked just fine after that.

Bridge height is super easy to adjust with that design. Turn the thumbwheels a smidge, retune, repeat until you're happy. A little bit of a truss rod adjustment might be in order too, and if it's needed, that helps a lot if you're fighting the guitar between the 5th and 12th frets.

I am happy with the guitar. I ordered the Phase III tuners the same time I ordered the guitar. Haven't rec'd the tuners yet./ Love the guitar. As Phil McKnight said in the video I posted in the other thread if he only had the S2 McCarty in his room the pickups would have been OK. But we all heard the difference. Right now I am not worried about that. Love the neck. Biggest frets I have ever used but that's cool.

Only issue is the factory , according to guys on the PRS forum, set the action high. well it's really high. Been playing it as is but it needs to come down. Was easy with my Strats because you could adjust the saddle heights individually. So I have to use the thumb wheels on the bridge. Not going to do it tonight. Just going to play.
Not a big deal. Neck is fast and straight....Tuners actually are OK but I like lockers for the ease of restringing and the phase III 's look cool.
Anyway, thanks for all the help you folks gave me when I was procrastinating and trying to decide what the heck to get.
So with the tuners I am now up to $1,900. I probably will want a case down the road but not now, maybe never, I don't play out. If I go jam it's usually with my Strat. Not a real good pict due to light over my head. But hey, I'm happy. Kooks much nicer in person.
PRS factory specs are:

12th fret
High e: 4/64
Low E: 5/64

Which is kinda medium. Check your neck relief before you touch the bridge. it might just be as simple as that the neck has moved a bit.

Thanks
I have 9-42s on a PRS CE-24 as well as all of the other guitars I own. I went through the phase of different gauges for different guitars but after some experimentation concluded that 9s were great on all of them, regardless of scale length.

Thanks
I have D'addario 9.5-44 on all three of my PRS (2 SE and a 513). I'm sure 9 will be fine on there; it's just a matter of how it feels to you since it's a diff scale than a Strat.

Beautiful guitar!

PRS factory specs are:

12th fret
High e: 4/64
Low E: 5/64

Which is kinda medium. Check your neck relief before you touch the bridge. it might just be as simple as that the neck has moved a bit.
Thanks.... Neck looks good but I will check the relief with one of my many little metal rulers. Must have been a sale because I have quite a few different kinds. Definitely way above the specs you referenced....The strings seem, very dull also. I did ask the seller (Reverb) how the strings were and he said they ordered the guitar at NAMM 2020 and it came in June 6, 2020. Possibly I am just not used to the heavier (for me) gauge.

Thanks.... Neck looks good but I will check the relief with one of my many little metal rulers. Must have been a sale because I have quite a few different kinds. Definitely way above the specs you referenced....The strings seem, very dull also. I did ask the seller (Reverb) how the strings were and he said they ordered the guitar at NAMM 2020 and it came in June 6, 2020. Possibly I am just not used to the heavier (for me) gauge.
Action, you can measure with a ruler, but relief requires feeler gauges or something similar. A high e string might also work in your case. Put a capo on the 1st fret, and press down a string on the 17th. If you can get a high e string under the 7th fret, there is too much relief. About half the thickness of a high e is a good starting point and should work for most players.

What type of strings do you normally use?

Pure nickel will be warmer than nickel plated which will be warmer than stainless steel, IMO.

Also... Humbuckers and (I assume) mahogany...

Action, you can measure with a ruler, but relief requires feeler gauges or something similar. A high e string might also work in your case. Put a capo on the 1st fret, and press down a string on the 17th. If you can get a high e string under the 7th fret, there is too much relief. About half the thickness of a high e is a good starting point and should work for most players.
I have the feeler gauges. I took off the ones I would use for guitar a long time ago. Thanks very much. Appreciate the info...........

What type of strings do you normally use?

Pure nickel will be warmer than nickel plated which will be warmer than stainless steel, IMO.

Also... Humbuckers and (I assume) mahogany...
I have been using D'Addario NYXL's 9-42 since they came out. Don't remember when that was. Before that I used the old stand by's, Ernie Balls 9-42 for a very long time and before that Fender 9-40. I really like the NYXL's a lot. They stay in tune (even on my strats) They last and retain brilliance for a long time. but, also, my hands do not seat a lot.
They also intonate really well.

I have been using D'Addario NYXL's 9-42 since they came out. Don't remember when that was. Before that I used the old stand by's, Ernie Balls 9-42 for a very long time and before that Fender 9-40. I really like the NYXL's a lot. They stay in tune (even on my strats) They last and retain brilliance for a long time. but, also, my hands do not seat a lot.
They also intonate really well.
I used Fender XL150 9-40 pure nickel for years but they stopped making them.

I got a new guitar that came with nickel plated 9-42 and I liked them so bought some similar ones from Fender and tried them. I have switched over to those on all my guitars.

I used Fender XL150 9-40 pure nickel for years but they stopped making them.

I got a new guitar that came with nickel plated 9-42 and I liked them so bought some similar ones from Fender and tried them. I have switched over to those on all my guitars.
Those are the Fender strings I used also-for a real long time.

Just realized something...I now will be i the same boat as many others here! My presets now will end with the Letter S or the H. Never had that issue before.
Great issue to have me thinks!

Back
Top Bottom