So, I've had a Headrush FRFR for a while now and I don't like it...

I play both bass and guitar using the Axe-FX II XL
When I bought my Headrush FRFR 108 for my Axe-FX II XL I was mainly planning on using it sporadically as I was using other guitar amps for most of my playing "aloud"
Nowadays I pretty much exclusively play with my Axe-FX, except for live situations when I use real amps. I barely use the Headrush because my headphones sound better, but I'd like to be able to play aloud. The Headrush isn't bad for the price, but it really doesn't reproduce those "gainy but not chuggy" type sounds very well (a tube amp preset on the edge of breakup), and most importantly it sounds like crap with bass patches.

So I guess I'm looking for an FRFR that can reproduce guitar and bass patches on the Axe-FX II XL, reasonably powerful (I don't imagine gigging it but it would be good to know I could, or at least use it as a monitor)... bonus points if I can run my mic through it too.

Any thoughts? QSC K12.2?

There is a thread somewhere where there is some solid advice to use EQ to actually 'flatten the curve' for the Headrush and really get this piece to sound good/great. Groundbreaking for some as I understood it. It was probably on a Axe3 topic but also applicable for the IIXL I would think...

There is a thread somewhere where there is some solid advice to use EQ to actually 'flatten the curve' for the Headrush and really get this piece to sound good/great. Groundbreaking for some as I understood it. It was probably on a Axe3 topic but also applicable for the IIXL I would think...
Using an outboard device or just tweaking the patches? I suppose I could make separate banks of the same patches for when I am plugged into the headrush. It just feels to me like it is missing something.

Where do you have the Contour EQ Switch set?

1661517979881.png

I have the 108 and I love it! I don't think you can beat it for the money. I use it connected to Out 1 of my Axe-Fx II along side a Vox AC4-C1 or AC30-CC2 both with power scaling, connected to Out 2, set on the edge of breakup and the amp. sims of the Vox in the Axe-Fx II sound identical to the real amps.

I play both bass and guitar using the Axe-FX II XL
When I bought my Headrush FRFR 108 for my Axe-FX II XL I was mainly planning on using it sporadically as I was using other guitar amps for most of my playing "aloud"
Nowadays I pretty much exclusively play with my Axe-FX, except for live situations when I use real amps. I barely use the Headrush because my headphones sound better, but I'd like to be able to play aloud. The Headrush isn't bad for the price, but it really doesn't reproduce those "gainy but not chuggy" type sounds very well (a tube amp preset on the edge of breakup), and most importantly it sounds like crap with bass patches.

So I guess I'm looking for an FRFR that can reproduce guitar and bass patches on the Axe-FX II XL, reasonably powerful (I don't imagine gigging it but it would be good to know I could, or at least use it as a monitor)... bonus points if I can run my mic through it too.

Any thoughts? QSC K12.2?
The EV PMX 12MP is worth a look! I have a pair of them and Im happy!

My experience is with the 112 not the 108. Flat or not, I dial presets in until I’m happy with the sound. If I used a curve to flatten the speaker I’m still going to adjust until I’m happy with what I’m hearing. And I was never completely happy with the HR112. There are better speakers out there.

My experience is with the 112 not the 108. Flat or not, I dial presets in until I’m happy with the sound. If I used a curve to flatten the speaker I’m still going to adjust until I’m happy with what I’m hearing. And I was never completely happy with the HR112. There are better speakers out there.
Sure there are, no argument there, just trying to help out. I use my 112 as a monitor for live purposes only, dial in to taste, try it out in a band context to learn what’s best eq wise. In my studio I use Dynaudio monitors, which sound great stereo on (almost) any volume level…. Just my 2 cents.

Using an outboard device or just tweaking the patches? I suppose I could make separate banks of the same patches for when I am plugged into the headrush. It just feels to me like it is missing something.
I use the out2 to sent to the 112, and you can put a seperate EQ before that path in axe edit if you want. So leave the patch as is for you headphone or monitors and tweak to taste for out2

Some people seem to like the Headrush speakers, I'm not one of them. I have four Atomic clr speakers and I like them but I've had issues with a couple so I'm thinking about trying the EV Pxm 12's. I got a couple HR108's thinking they would be small and light and cheap enough to not worry about abuse but I didn't find them useful for me. Just my two cents.

Non compatible with the Headrush 108, 2 different things and the EV is 3 time the price of the 108!
OP posted he was looking for an FR solution that could reproduce guitar and bass sounds! Though the 108 could do it but clearly is not the right solution for job. Yes the EV is a little on the expensive side but it is a really good box!

If he wants to stay in the sub $500 there are plenty of options but should be looking at a larger speaker with as much HP as he can afford.

The best budget solution requires a little work. Buy a Celestion F12-X200. Mount in a guitar cabinet or build a cabinet. Find an inexpensive used power amp. Considerably cheaper than the well regarded options and they sound good. Not sure how it does with bass though. Never tried it but the speaker is full range.

I enjoy my 108 for what it is, small light and cheap. Not always going to want to lug a CLR around everywhere not to mention they are $1000 and hard to replace. Rather have a little powered wedge that is worth like what $100 on the used market for some get togethers, take to a jam etc.

Sound coming out of it hangs with most smaller combo amps people bring and given I’d have an Axe 3 running through it actually a better tone.

Also super handy when people say “hey anyone have a powered monitor we can borrow” for any number of things such as live voice, patio get together for playing some music etc

Totally great buy in my experiences, just get it for what it is, and don’t assume it’s going to rival a high end wedge

Back
Top Bottom