So I'm wondering if anyone else has tried this with their CLR

kmanick

Fractal Fanatic
so I've had my CLR for a while now and for the most part of enjoyed it. I was thinking that it
might be overkill for someone who is not gigging and just using it at home.
When I practice I am usually very close to both of my wedges and have a constant issue with the wife about volume. :evil
So I was actually going to put up both of my wedges for sale. at very low volume FRFR wedges sound very 'artificial to me" regardless
of the IR etc. I've found that the CLR (to my ears anyway) sound much better to me when you can get some juice going
through them, and you can step back from them a bit, but they are freaking loud (so is the Seismic), so last night I decided to try something
I've done in the past with real cabs.
I turned both wedges around facing away from me towards the wall. (In backline position on their sides)
WOW ! what a difference , I can turn them up louder and because I am not getting the full range shooting at my face anymore
they actually sound a lot more like regular guitar cabs.
for anyone who has these and is still looking for that "amp in the room" thing, I urge you to try this.
it won't get you all of the way there but it does get you closer.
Regular guitar cabs are not full range I found that by turning them away and losing the very high end /low end these put out
they sound great.
Now I'm on the fence about selling my JSX and 2X12 recto cab :lol

I have CLRs too but I always practise with earphones!
Shure SE110! They are a little bit darker and bassier thaan the CLRs, but I only use the CLRs when rehearsing and then I only use one preset and the rest are for practising and having fun.
Everyone is happy!

I have CLRs too but I always practise with earphones!
Shure SE110! They are a little bit darker and bassier thaan the CLRs, but I only use the CLRs when rehearsing and then I only use one preset and the rest are for practising and having fun.
Everyone is happy!

Just one preset with the band ?? .........Malcolm Young is that you :)

Just kidding, I've played many gigs including recently using only one preset

I have 2 and play them at home exclusively. I love the sound at any volume. My wife can always go to the sound-insulated basement if she likes but she is cool about the volume. I love it loud.

Have you also tried to elevate the cabs on a pole and have the facing you? This way you'd get a more detailed sound at a very lower level.If you did not like the highs you get from a guitar amp when you're off-axis, there's no way any cab facing a wall can give you the highs you're missing :/:)

I have not tried them on poles ...yet..
I did not turn my real cabs to get away from highs "off axis" but to get away from highs shooting straight at me.
Standing off Axis was never a problem nor is now.
I have tinnitus in my right ear and shrilly highs set it off. but that's not really what turning them around surprised me with.
What surprised me is how much more FRFR speakers sound like regular guitar cabs this way. I turned them back around facing me tonight for a while.
the highs didn't bother me but they sounded more like............well PA speakers not guitar cabs. The really bright patches out
there (like the Van Halen patches people share here) sound really great this way.
I'm telling you if you have a CLR put it on it's side and face it away from you and turn it up.
try it, It sounds great. then again if you're perfectly content with them as is then well ignore this thread :)

Have you also tried to elevate the cabs on a pole and have the facing you? This way you'd get a more detailed sound at a very lower level.If you did not like the highs you get from a guitar amp when you're off-axis, there's no way any cab facing a wall can give you the highs you're missing :/:)

Wow kmanick - funny you should post this. Just before I purchased my CLRs I did the same thing with my Rokit 8s - turned them around to face the wall and cranked them up.

I was amazed at how the AXE sounded so much more powerful - yeah - much to my wife's chagrin! ;)

Soooo … I'll be sure to try this with my CLR NEOs tomorrow - thanks for the thread! :D

I have not tried them on poles ...yet.. I did not turn my real cabs to get away from highs "off axis" but to get away from highs shooting straight at me.Standing off Axis was never a problem nor is now.I have tinnitus in my right ear and shrilly highs set it off. but that's not really what turning them around surprised me with.What surprised me is how much more FRFR speakers sound like regular guitar cabs this way. I turned them back around facing me tonight for a while.the highs didn't bother me but they sounded more like............well PA speakers not guitar cabs. The really bright patches out there (like the Van Halen patches people share here) sound really great this way.I'm telling you if you have a CLR put it on it's side and face it away from you and turn it up. try it, It sounds great. then again if you're perfectly content with them as is then well ignore this thread :)
Do not take me wrong, I was trying to be of help and to enrich the discussion. Please allow me to join the thread again if I feel I'd like to add something :D

Please feel free to contribute,
I am not trying to come across as exclusionary in any way , just sharing a very surprising discovery that has put quite a smile on my face.
I know many people here who use the CLR are quite happy with them, I think I'm directing this thread more towards those that have them and still feel like something is missing,
you know the old "amp in the room" thing. I wish I had a couple of poles to try your suggestion, being able to back them away from me a little further than I can now
may be quite beneficial.

Do not take me wrong, I was trying to be of help and to enrich the discussion. Please allow me to join the thread again if I feel I'd like to add something :D

kmanick, IIRC, there have been a few threads and posts touching on the positive aspects of doing this, in order to get a more "roomy" sound that just as much features reflections as it does direct sound. IMO, what you are doing makes perfect sense.

As an offshoot topic, a while back I posed the question as to whether anyone had tried to create an experimental speaker box that had both front firing (typical) speaker(s) with side and/or rear firing speakers, in order to see whether this provided what many feel are missing to the FRFR experience. There were mixed responses, ranging from "...waste of time..." to "...tried it and sounds cool ". This has always intrigued me.

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/amps-...-turn-speaker-cab-180-degrees-aimed-wall.html

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/amps-cabs/64792-simulated-open-back-room-effect.html

I'm going to try it with my bass tonight as well (haven't done that yet) to see if I like it as much with that (I think I will)

What your essentially doing is simulating an open back cab. Thjnk about it. Most places you out your amp on the floor behind you, and unless you tilt your speakers are hitting your knees...most of what you are hearing is bouncing off walls around end especially behind if you use open back cabs. This is giving you that ambient reflection volume you don't get from it otherwise,..and it's of course acting as a natural rq

Nick, does this not create the same amount of volume in the room? And/or isn't the same amount of sound transferring upstairs to the wife?

By the way, I just finished the soundproof room in my house.....next speaker shootout can be at my place....

Nick, does this not create the same amount of volume in the room? And/or isn't the same amount of sound transferring upstairs to the wife?

By the way, I just finished the soundproof room in my house.....next speaker shootout can be at my place....

Hey Jay,
it is a bit less but the volume is not the difference that I like, it's the actual sound.
I think we noticed this last time you were here at my place, we had a CLR
in the middle of the room and it was facing the far wall (and we had these things up pretty loud) and
I noticed how good that JMP-1 patch you brought with you sounded. It's smoother and to my ears far less
artificial sounding, not so much as a 'recorded sound" it sounds more like a regular cab.
Congrats on finishing the room, I'm "in talks" with the Mrs about completely re doing my basement :)
I've got another Mesa 50/50 on it's way too (this sh*t never ends does it LOL!) soon we should have a few "new" things to A/B :)

What your essentially doing is simulating an open back cab.

Well, not really. By turning a loudspeaker to face the wall you miss all the front emission, so you're just trying to simulate the "open back", but are missing the "cab" :)

As for emulating one, Mr. Mitchell has explained that in order to do so you actually need two closed cabs, the one facing the wall having to emit in reverse polarity (because it pushes air when the front loudspeaker "pulls" it, if that makes any sense).

This is actually my main doubt about what the OP suggests: too many direct freqs missing.
OTOH, if he has suffered from an ear damage, this lack of highs might be what makes the sound more pleasant for him.

I have to say that with respect to beaming highs, the CLR is much more euphonical than any guitar cab I've used, unless you set the sound so to be beamey. With music programs its highs are well present but never harsh.

Well, not really. By turning a loudspeaker to face the wall you miss all the front emission, so you're just trying to simulate the "open back", but are missing the "cab" :)

As for emulating one, Mr. Mitchell has explained that in order to do so you actually need two closed cabs, the one facing the wall having to emit in reverse polarity (because it pushes air when the front loudspeaker "pulls" it, if that makes any sense).

This is actually my main doubt about what the OP suggests: too many direct freqs missing.
OTOH, if he has suffered from an ear damage, this lack of highs might be what makes the sound more pleasant for him.

I have to say that with respect to beaming highs, the CLR is much more euphonical than any guitar cab I've used, unless you set the sound so to be beamey. With music programs its highs are well present but never harsh.

i addressed that fact by saying that most of your front emitting sound is hitting your knees anyway. i didn't say it was EXACT reproduction, just simulating that effect.

i don't think the CLR's really beam at all...but any speaker will have more pronounced freqs if it's hitting you square in the face as opposed to off axis.

it's not really the "highs" it's the overall sound. As good as the CLR is its still sounds like a monitor not a guitar cab (which is neither good or bad it just is what it is)
turning it around kills some of that "recorded sound (to me anyway)
why don't you just try it then you can let us know what you find. :)
You may not want more of a 'cab in the room" sound, if not , this will not be to your liking
but if you do you may find that " hey this is kind of cool" like I did.
I do have some tinnitus but my hearing damage is very very minimal (I've had several tests over the last 8 years).
I can still hear quite well.......thank god

Glad to "hear" that! LOL :encouragement:

Well, My CLRs are set in a way that would make difficult to test the configuration you're suggesting (I'm using them as my main music programs player ATM). I could give it a try when I have to move them elsewhere or I take them out :)
Anyway, I've not been using any kind of cab on the floor since decades now... it's probably the worst placement I could think of. If you do so, now that I think of it you might actually not being damping too much of the high freqs anyway :D

Back
Top Bottom