SO....I Totally Stumped an Anti-Digital Guitarist!!!!

Very cool story.

In a related vein - last night I had a ridiculously heated argument with my engineer (we're partners in a studio here in Sydney). Despite hearing the Fractal (and having to concede it "works"), he is convinced that there will *NEVER* be an equivalent when it comes to mic pre-amps. (We've currently got a few quality pre-amps, such as an old Neve 1073, an Avalon VT737 and a new Fearn VT2)

Now in my pre-Fractal days I would have agreed with him, but obviously that has changed. I don't actually know of a quality all-digital pre-amp, but Fractal have made me a believer.

So Cliff - when will we see the "Fractal Audio Mic-FX"? :)

Seems like it would be possible to add some mic-pre models to Axe, wouldn't it? It would be awesome if it had that capability as well, especially if it were up to par with some of the ultra high-end pre's. It sure would make the Axe just that much more worthwhile... and in a whole other subset of the audio world, too.

Sammetal91 said:
man that'd be awesome. Can emulate grace, massenburg, API, Neve, telefunken, ssl, and many other sweet pres. Also a Mic that emulates other mics. How would that look? Would the capsule have to fit ribbon, dynamic, and condenser specs in one?

That would be interesting. I wanna' say it doesn't seem possible, but...

That's exactly what i did. he was playing my suhr modern into both rigs. couldn't tell the difference.
he'll be on the waiting list soon. LOL
i had him play then i unplugged and switched it really quick. would have been nice if id had an a/b switch.

This, IMO, is the key factor and I'm glad you had him play both for himself. Back when the Axe FX standard first came out I held out just to see where the technology would go and how fast it would progress. After I got wind that they were coming out with an Axe Fx II I became more interested and went out of my way to play my friends Ultra (him being the only Axe owner I know) and was pretty darn impressed. Sounds like the II is a step up in the feel department from what's being said around here, so it's time I lay down the coin for one myself. Really getting tired of lugging around my heavy amps. I picked up an 11r when they first came out because the price was right, but while its OK for recording, it isn't able to match my live needs.

Stories like this are pretty cool, thanks for posting it!

@FenixIA - It will be called 'Studio Laughing Duck' and it is in Glenorie, (way up north, past Dural). I'm in partnership with a guy named Marc Vassilou, who was a very respected engineer in Sydney during the 80's and 90's. He's real old school and does amazing work (I suck as an engineer, so don't ever ask me anything on that topic).

It's a *huge* barn that we are converting - there are 55 more bags of fibreglass batts to be installed in the ceiling and walls, as well as plywood, acoustic tiles, gyprock, etc etc. The last really major job to complete is installing a false ceiling in the main recording room (8m by 5m), the current ceiling is 6 metres high and has zero soundproofing. There is also a small isolation room (3.5m by 3.5m) and the console room. We're also working having accommodation facilities for up to six people (basic but functional) so that bands can come up and stay for a few days.

We're planning to open Nov 1. The studio is actually operational now, but it is a bit messy and ugly, plus there are the sound-proofing issues mentioned earlier.

We're aiming for an optimal range of digital/analog choices. We're running a Pro Tools HD2 backend with 24 physical inputs (96ios and Focusrite Octopres). Mixing can be completely digital or through our analog desk (an early 90's Mackie 24 - 8 ) with the further option of final output to Ampex 2" tape. Additionally we have a few great pre-amps such as a Neve 1073, an Avalon 737 and a Fearn VT-2, as well as the gloriously oddball Mindprint DTC. There's lots more outboard gear plus a huge array of gorgeous mics (46 of them at last count).

In the medium term I'm hoping to upgrade from 96ios to 192ios, plus add a C24 desk for a better "all digital" option. Marc wants his dream Harrison console one day, but we'll see how we go.

Last edited:
@FenixIA - It will be called 'Studio Laughing Duck' and it is in Glenorie, (way up north, past Dural). I'm in partnership with a guy named Marc Vassilou, who was a very respected engineer in Sydney during the 80's and 90's. He's real old school and does amazing work (I suck as an engineer, so don't ever ask me anything on that topic).

It's a *huge* barn that we are converting - there are 55 more bags of fibreglass batts to be installed in the ceiling and walls, as well as plywood, acoustic tiles, gyprock, etc etc. The last really major job to complete is installing a false ceiling in the main recording room (8m by 5m), the current ceiling is 6 metres high and has zero soundproofing. There is also a small isolation room (3.5m by 3.5m) and the console room. We're also working having accommodation facilities for up to six people (basic but functional) so that bands can come up and stay for a few days.

We're planning to open Nov 1. The studio is actually operational now, but it is a bit messy and ugly, plus there are the sound-proofing issues mentioned earlier.

We're aiming for an optimal range of digital/analog choices. We're running a Pro Tools HD2 backend with 24 physical inputs (96ios and Focusrite Octopres). Mixing can be completely digital or through our analog desk (an early 90's Mackie 24 - 8 ) with the further option of final output to Ampex 2" tape. Additionally we have a few great pre-amps such as a Neve 1073, an Avalon 737 and a Fearn VT-2, as well as the gloriously oddball Mindprint DTC. There's lots more outboard gear plus a huge array of gorgeous mics (46 of them at last count).

In the medium term I'm hoping to upgrade from 96ios to 192ios, plus add a C24 desk for a better "all digital" option. Marc wants his dream Harrison console one day, but we'll see how we go.

*Drops Jaw*

Haha, sounds awesome man... You'll probably be able to trump my bedroom recordings with a generic usb interface sm57 / podfarm /superior 2.0.

Plug your studio when you're done, be keen to see how it all turns out.... And yeah the getaway/recording idea is heaps good... Would be rad to spend 2 weeks away from it all with the band and just record some solid tunes.

Back
Top Bottom