SO....I Totally Stumped an Anti-Digital Guitarist!!!!

boltrecords

Fractal Fanatic
So ive been going back and forth with a friend of mine who is completely...anti digital and had always talked negatively towards my Ultra.
when i got my axe 2 last week i decided to take on a little project. I asked my freind if i could borrow his ENGL amp for a few days. i used his current settings on the amp and matched them on the axe 2 as perfectly as i could.

when he came by to grab his amp a few days later, i had a little wager for him. "See if you can tell which is the Engl and which is the Axe"
i kept his back turned, had the volume levels the exact same and used the same guitar. He was so confident he could accurately tell the difference.

Long Story Short....HE GUESSED WRONG!!!!! and i was happy. LOL

He didnt know what to say. If i could do it all again id get it on video and post it on the axe youtube page.

Isn't the Axe Edit's ability to view and upload patches been shut down?

No. You can view and upload patches just fine. Axe-change (a centralized stogage area for patches) is what isn't ready. Someone cand post a file and load it into their axefx just fine with the editor.

+1 to Mark's idea! If you can fool a guy from his powerball, I am impressed. How loud were the axe and powerball?

+1 to Mark's idea! If you can fool a guy from his powerball, I am impressed. How loud were the axe and powerball?

Im not sure if this is the best way to explain it, but...id say i was at about 80% of my live stage volume. so pretty damn loud. as loud as id like to go in my home. it rumbled my studio room

FYI, i didnt like the way the patch sounded. i wasnt going for a "good tone" i was just matching his amp tone, which i did not like at all.

That's the thing about a Powerball. I love that amp with everything around noon on channels 3, and 4, even the gain, but there are these guys that insist everything be on 11, and it just sounds like garbage to me when they do that. The gain get's a little to fizzy after about 1, and the lows are already crazy at noon, you can give it a bit more mids, if you need to cut through a mix, and the highs really depend on how you set the presence. I just don't know why some people insist on making it do things that sound like crap.

For part two of that test- I would have liked to see you hand the guitar off to him and see if he could tell the difference while he was playing it.

For part two of that test- I would have liked to see you hand the guitar off to him and see if he could tell the difference while he was playing it.

That's exactly what i did. he was playing my suhr modern into both rigs. couldn't tell the difference.
he'll be on the waiting list soon. LOL
i had him play then i unplugged and switched it really quick. would have been nice if id had an a/b switch.

No. You can view and upload patches just fine. Axe-change (a centralized stogage area for patches) is what isn't ready. Someone cand post a file and load it into their axefx just fine with the editor.

Axe patches smoke cigars too? Is there anything this thing can't do? :)

That's exactly what i did. he was playing my suhr modern into both rigs. couldn't tell the difference.
he'll be on the waiting list soon. LOL
i had him play then i unplugged and switched it really quick. would have been nice if id had an a/b switch.

That's awesome.

Very cool story.

In a related vein - last night I had a ridiculously heated argument with my engineer (we're partners in a studio here in Sydney). Despite hearing the Fractal (and having to concede it "works"), he is convinced that there will *NEVER* be an equivalent when it comes to mic pre-amps. (We've currently got a few quality pre-amps, such as an old Neve 1073, an Avalon VT737 and a new Fearn VT2)

Now in my pre-Fractal days I would have agreed with him, but obviously that has changed. I don't actually know of a quality all-digital pre-amp, but Fractal have made me a believer.

So Cliff - when will we see the "Fractal Audio Mic-FX"? :)

Very cool story.

In a related vein - last night I had a ridiculously heated argument with my engineer (we're partners in a studio here in Sydney). Despite hearing the Fractal (and having to concede it "works"), he is convinced that there will *NEVER* be an equivalent when it comes to mic pre-amps. (We've currently got a few quality pre-amps, such as an old Neve 1073, an Avalon VT737 and a new Fearn VT2)

Now in my pre-Fractal days I would have agreed with him, but obviously that has changed. I don't actually know of a quality all-digital pre-amp, but Fractal have made me a believer.

So Cliff - when will we see the "Fractal Audio Mic-FX"? :)
man that'd be awesome. Can emulate grace, massenburg, API, Neve, telefunken, ssl, and many other sweet pres. Also a Mic that emulates other mics. How would that look? Would the capsule have to fit ribbon, dynamic, and condenser specs in one?

Back
Top Bottom