So I got a CLR to try

I also had the pleasure of testing the CLR yesterday..........................F%#$^&*CK.......................it was killer good....suddenly I heard stuff , freq and more........Will wait till the Axe fest in Holland 30 Nov and might get myself also 1 or 2 ...:)

I have been sitting here playing this thing for hours today. Simply amazing. I eq'd the DLM until I was blue in the face but it's never going to sound like this CLR thing. It will make sound, it will make good sound, but it will not make amazingly clear, tight, just like an amp type sound.

I realize the CLR speaker actually sounds like nothing (no color at all) but it is passing sound like a clean window passes sunlight. I could live with one but I MUST have two now. I just have to hear what my patches sound like in living techno-non-color stereo.

BTW, EQing whatever you use by a/b'ing with a CLR ain't a bad idea. At least when I use the DLMs they will be more tonally correct.

Last edited:
I have been sitting here playing this thing for hours today. Simply amazing. I eq'd the DLM until I was blue in the face but it's never going to sound like this CLR thing. It will make sound, it will make good sound, but it will not make amazingly clear, tight, just like an amp type sound.

I realize the CLR speaker actually sounds like nothing (no color at all) but it is passing sound like a clean window passes sunlight. I could live with one but I MUST have two now. I just have to hear what my patches sound like in living techno-non-color stereo.

BTW, EQing whatever you use by a/b'ing with a CLR ain't a bad idea. At least when I use the DLMs they will be more tonally correct.

Couldn't you could shoot an IR of the DLM's and use it as a corrective EQ ?

Come on now... you have to give your self a little more credit then that :lol
I have to admit, the way I had them set was far from the truth of it all yet I still could make music. The highs were very pronounced as were the lows. After my A/Bing I was actually kinda pleased. Still getting the CLR pair though. There are other attributes besides just the raw frequency response in play here.

For my little gigs the DLMs' will now be a bit better than they were before, flat wise. Hence the reason I mentioned to folks that if they have something else and get the chance to do a heads up, make sure when the CLR leaves, it at least leaves a little of itself behind. The DSP on the DLM was most helpful. I am now using the Soloist setting as opposed to the Y I used before plus the built in EQ. DLM owners will get that.

Very cool... As son as I have a pair of CLR's I will be a lot happer, as I said I really wanted to like the DLM's but what I was hearing from the forum regarding the CLR's and the cost of the CLR's compared to the DLM's and their performance I had to pass.

Very cool... As son as I have a pair of CLR's I will be a lot happer, as I said I really wanted to like the DLM's but what I was hearing from the forum regarding the CLR's and the cost of the CLR's compared to the DLM's and their performance I had to pass.

You made the right call, as you well know. I will have both as I actually paid full pop ($699 each DLM ) and I am not gonna eat it so soon. That and the fact they will still come in handy for reasons I have already posted, floors for church stuff and floors with CLR backline. Now that the eq is really close, it should work out pretty well.

Funny side note, I have read that the CLR's were boomy. BS. My little DLM8'd were so boomy I have the DSP bass eq all the way rolled off. The 8's were much more boomy than the CLRs which have zero boominess. Somebody must have had some really bass heavy patches they probably programmed on 5 inch nearfields.

Gonna have 2 CLRs on poles behind me and the DLMs' at my feet. I'll just run a mic cable from the thru out on the DLMs back to the CLRs. Should be kinda sweet I hope.

Last edited:
Funny side note, I have read that the CLR's were boomy. BS. My little DLM8'd were so boomy I have the DSP bass eq all the way rolled off. The 8's were much more boomy than the CLRs which have zero boominess. Somebody must have had some really bass heavy patches they probably programmed on 5 inch nearfields.

Many people ignore the room's contribution to the sound, or even put their cabs on wooden pieces of furniture and complain about boominess or muddiness.

Many people ignore the room's contribution to the sound, or even put their cabs on wooden pieces of furniture and complain about boominess or muddiness.

:lol no one ever said life - or the relentless pursuit of tonal nirvana - would be easy! ;)

You made the right call, as you well know. I will have both as I actually paid full pop ($699 each DLM ) and I am not gonna eat it so soon. That and the fact they will still come in handy for reasons I have already posted, floors for church stuff and floors with CLR backline. Now that the eq is really close, it should work out pretty well.

Gonna have 2 CLRs on poles behind me and the DLMs' at my feet. I'll just run a mic cable from the thru out on the DLMs back to the CLRs. Should be kinda sweet I hope.

My bad on the price you paid for the DLM's... :eek:ops I thought I had read a post that you had got a really good deal so it must have been someone else, apologies bro.

I can only wait for my CLR's to happen, I have a potential work deal that is in the final stages of being ironed out finically. All I can do is to be patient and listen vicariously through others :lol but when it does happen I will be getting a pair along with a few other missing parts and a few more guitars that I would like to have for my rig.

The CLR's and the DLM's will make a great rig for sure :encouragement:.

I really wanted a CLR....in fact, I really wanted two CLRs. As a bedroom player, I couldn't justify paying that much for speakers even though I'm a huge tone freak and know I would have loved them. :) It killed me to get the email from Tom and have to turn down an order. Of course I know that bumped someone else up in line and made them happy that day. I'm really pleased with my Xitone wedge for jamming in my basement and don't look at it as a replacement, better, etc. than the CLR. I'm primarily a hard rock/metal player and I get the impression that the CLR does that type of music well. I'd like to try one some day just to hear one of my patches thru it.

I could not get it dialed in to my satisfaction no matter how hard I tried. After two gigs I returned it. I felt it required way too much tweaking (I am not a tweaker). Again, based on how much folks like them around here, I must concede that dialing it in to get the type of tones I use for gigs (R&B mostly -- nothing heavy) was beyond my skill set. I don't record and still use the same monitors in my office I have had for the last 7 years to listen to music. I switched to an amp and passive FRFR cab and I was able to dial in patches very quickly that actually according to other users on this forum translate very well to the CLR. Since then I have gone the amp and real cab route since none of the 40 or so gigs I do a year require me to go the FOH (I play mostly in pubs and small clubs).

I think what my experience shows is that is plenty of great gear out there, however, you need to be willing to spend the time to find what works best for you.

you could copy paste that to your signature. you could save some serious typing.

I've learned over the years I just seem to be able to make certain gear work for me without much hassle and other gear I just can't get going for what I do.

That is completely independent of the quality of the gear. Instruments that get raved about, I don't like. People rave about this and that and it doesn't work for me.

So it's not surprising to me that different folks just make different rigs work. That's how it's always been for me. In fact, I dig it when I sitting in with a band and their rigs are so different from mine. It's cool to see how everyone makes their beautiful noises.

I agree that the most important thing for a musician is that they feel at ease with their gear and get the sound they seek. I would never argue against someone stating "I don't like how the (Axe-Fx, CLR, Kemper, Tele) sounds", or whatever. And definitely respect someone who says "I could never dial a good tone out of the XXX".
Numbers are numbers tho, measures are measures. The amplitude response of the CLS (provided that the charts are real, which I don't doubt the least) definitely qualifies it for not being "bass heavy". This is not a matter of tastes, opinions or preferences. Since they are the most transparent loudspeaker system I've ever seen in their price range, sonic issues have to be related to a defective unit, user's "sonic print" or user error

:)

When I first started using Fractal gear (Ultra) I couldn't seem to like the FR solution ,Tried to ,but just struggled with it. so I bought a randall RT 2/50 and ran through a 2x12 THD cab ,Loved it!!! till I recorded it and started comparing miked cab to IR's Sure didn't have the same vibe miked as what I was hearing in the room! Then realized using a single cab was only utilizing a fraction of the ax fx potential!! So went back to FR solutions! Went through most of them 9 QSC, Atomic ,FBT, RCF,which I liked a lot , The CLR just sits above everything I've tried , I think it rocks!! I'd like to try some of the more expensive options ,but then reality sits in ,I can't afford them right now at least!
My experience has been , once you spend the time and effort to dial things in for FR and open your mind to it , Cabs just don't cut it anymore!!! I want my tone the same for the listener as it is for me ! Let's face it , Amp in the room is all about me!!! The audience won't hear the same thing! running from stage volume May sound great on stage ,but as you move into the spectrum of the audience , it usually either becomes harsh or muddy ! FR makes your sound consistent!!

The audience won't hear the same thing! running from stage volume May sound great on stage, but as you move into the spectrum of the audience , it usually either becomes harsh or muddy ! FR makes your sound consistent!!

That's it in a nut shell!

once you spend the time and effort to dial things in for FR and open your mind to it , Cabs just don't cut it anymore!!!

I've come to this conclusion as well. (and have tried all of the same options as you listed)

(derailer)
I played a gig this past weekend with in house sound, and they had a pair of McCauley coax wedges in front of me.....man that was nice.

back to dlm8's. I have one and it is very boomy. Last gig was in a round gymnasium and I was having trouble dialling it out. I always use the PA mode because the picture is flat. Soloist is supposed to rolloff bass and boost mids and highs.
What eq settings did you use from there on DLM8? So you just used the 3 band eq on the DLM8's or did you play with the Fractal GEQ to try to match the CLR's? I'm thinking of buying a CLR but honestly I've pissed away so much money trying speakers.

Any Canadians listening PM me please. I live in Canada and when you factor in the brokerage and shipping costs and then the resale value (which usually is low due to location) … Ok sorry for complaining but I wish we could get the Canadian members to join a group on this forum so that we could possibly buy and sell some of these speakers among the group.

Back
Top Bottom