So happy with FOH sound now!

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
I use a Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 cabinet loaded with Eminence Pro Delta A 400 watt speakers. Sounds killer. Until yesterday I've just used same stock cabinet model on output 1 for all patches going front of house. Never really listened to what the front of house sounded like. Fast forward to me buying band a really nice mid grade PA system(EV 12 inch powered tops, EV 18 inch powered subs and a QSC Touchmix 16). Now I'm concerned with everyone's sound, including what audience hears of my rig. Well...it really didn't sound great. That is until I finally did the IR shoot of my rig. HOLY COW!!!! If you have not done this it's so easy. Mixer and mic and stand and then follow YouTube directions. Literally is changing the game now!

Also, I'll be confident going forward that if I tweak, and like, my patches on my main rig, it will translate almost identical to the FOH.

Last edited:
The touchmix is a nice board, I bought one when they first came out. So I could compress my small venue rig down. Went from 2 racks of gear to one bag.

You might find you need to spend some time with the presets to get a good eq setup for the AXE-fx. I find the board has a tendency to reduce the lows a considerable amount even when you have the eq disabled for a flat response.

Would you care to share the G-Flex IRs? Are they shot with the new method that removes the Power Amp coloration? :D

I shot it with my Matrix GT1600FX power amp. Really flat response type amp I believe. Happy to share though. Can I just put a thumb drive in the USB and get it that way?

You should be able to just attach the files to the forum post if you are on the computer you shot them with. Always loved the G-Flex cabs.

You should be able to just attach the files to the forum post if you are on the computer you shot them with. Always loved the G-Flex cabs.

Didn't use computer to shoot the IR's. I'll have to hook it up tonight and download. What is easiest way to get you all the IR I did?

I use a Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 cabinet loaded with Eminence Pro Delta A 400 watt speakers. Sounds killer. Until yesterday I've just used same stock cabinet model on output 1 for all patches going front of house. Never really listened to what the front of house sounded like. Fast forward to me buying band a really nice mid grade PA system(EV 12 inch powered tops, EV 18 inch powered subs and a QSC Touchmix 16). Now I'm concerned with everyone's sound, including what audience hears of my rig. Well...it really didn't sound great. That is until I finally did the IR shoot of my rig. HOLY COW!!!! If you have not done this it's so easy. Mixer and mic and stand and then follow YouTube directions. Literally is changing the game now!

Also, I'll be confident going forward that if I tweak, and like, my patches on my main rig, it will translate almost identical to the FOH.

YES YES YES!!!!
That's exactly what happened to me. I never liked any factory or 3rd party IR's. When I shot one of my own, that was my FOH sound, DONE! I've been using that IR ever since.

Didn't use computer to shoot the IR's. I'll have to hook it up tonight and download. What is easiest way to get you all the IR I did?

Export them out using Axe Edit, then put them in a zip folder and upload them to something like a host site, dropbox, google drive. These will be much anticipated and appreciated dude!

Nice one Tremonti
thumbsup.gif

I've played close to two thousand shows since 1996 with just the FOH mix in the monitors / in-ears - it's the future and I'm amazed at how many people find the concept 'alien'...
shrug.gif

Similar situation here. I thought the IRs were OK, but I was never 100% satisfied. I finally made an IR of my own cabinet, and it was a complete game changer. Since then, some of the most recent FAS IRs have made their way into my patches. However, the IR of my own cab was the last piece of the puzzle that I needed to 100% get the sound I was used to hearing, or what I would consider "my sound". It just goes to show that the possibilities with the Axe Fx are limitless, and easily attainable.

Used only mic I had at house. Sennheiser e835. Sounds good to me, but maybe another mic would be better???

Back
Top Bottom