So Far So Good - Week 4 With the Axe FX II XL+

bread

Power User
So far I've read a heap of stuff on here, read the manual (a lot) and watched the super videos from Axe FX Tutorials (thanks Chris - these were a big help in getting everything up and running).

So far I think the Axe FX sounds amazing. I've had a G System, POD HD, Kemper and still own an FX8 which has been my "gateway drug" to go for the Axe FX ;)

I've found that the videos from Chris were extremely helpful in getting levels right on my first preset. I would even go so far as to suggest a sticky (if not done already) for "getting started with your Axe FX" and provide links to the 3 videos I used - MFC101 setup, input and output levels and using a filter block as a boost.

A couple of minor points along the way ...
1. There is no instrument input on the MFC101 - would be nice to avoid a long TS lead back to the rack
2. No rear instrument input on the Axe FX so avoid a cable in the front of the rack to keep things tidy
3. There is a lag between XY on the amp block - no big deal (I read the thread on here regarding it) - my FX8 does this to a degree as well switching my Mark 5 and hasn't been a problem so far but it is noticeable.
4. I would like the "Utility" -> "UV" meters on all the time on the AXE FX (or a separate pop up window on the Mac/PC) when using AXE Edit. I always want to glance at the levels when creating presets / scenes. Maybe an alarm on FX Edit if I'm clipping Output1 or Output 2 a lot ? (you get the idea)

So this evening I get to plug it into our small PA in the rehearsal room. It's an Alto something or other, so I'll crank it on that. If it sounds good on the Alto it should sound great on the HK Lin 5s and the Martin Audio rigs.

Tomorrow my NL12 cabs arrive so more fun with the cab block and the matrix GT1000FX.

Thanks so far for the help.

So far I've read a heap of stuff on here, read the manual (a lot) and watched the super videos from Axe FX Tutorials (thanks Chris - these were a big help in getting everything up and running).

So far I think the Axe FX sounds amazing. I've had a G System, POD HD, Kemper and still own an FX8 which has been my "gateway drug" to go for the Axe FX ;)

I've found that the videos from Chris were extremely helpful in getting levels right on my first preset. I would even go so far as to suggest a sticky (if not done already) for "getting started with your Axe FX" and provide links to the 3 videos I used - MFC101 setup, input and output levels and using a filter block as a boost.

A couple of minor points along the way ...
1. There is no instrument input on the MFC101 - would be nice to avoid a long TS lead back to the rack
2. No rear instrument input on the Axe FX so avoid a cable in the front of the rack to keep things tidy
3. There is a lag between XY on the amp block - no big deal (I read the thread on here regarding it) - my FX8 does this to a degree as well switching my Mark 5 and hasn't been a problem so far but it is noticeable.
4. I would like the "Utility" -> "UV" meters on all the time on the AXE FX (or a separate pop up window on the Mac/PC) when using AXE Edit. I always want to glance at the levels when creating presets / scenes. Maybe an alarm on FX Edit if I'm clipping Output1 or Output 2 a lot ? (you get the idea)

So this evening I get to plug it into our small PA in the rehearsal room. It's an Alto something or other, so I'll crank it on that. If it sounds good on the Alto it should sound great on the HK Lin 5s and the Martin Audio rigs.

Tomorrow my NL12 cabs arrive so more fun with the cab block and the matrix GT1000FX.

Thanks so far for the help.

1. The MFC101 is a midi controller; not instrument input necessary IMO. Wireless communication with the Axe FX (or whatever midi device it was connected to), would be pretty awesome though :D
2. The Axe FX does have a rear instrument input. I don't believe it has whatever "special sauce" has been applied to the front input, but you should try it out and see how it works for you.
3. If you want seamless amp block switching, then you need to use 2 different amp blocks. Just set them up in parallel and use a specific button on your midi controller or scenes to switch between them (on my midi controller, I have a button that toggles between the Amp 1 and Amp 2, but there are plenty of other ways to do it)
4. There are two lights on the front labelled Out 1 Clip and Out 2 Clip. Look at those to see if you're clipping Output 1 or Output 2 alot :D
-
Austin

1. The MFC101 is a midi controller; not instrument input necessary IMO. Wireless communication with the Axe FX (or whatever midi device it was connected to), would be pretty awesome though :D
2. The Axe FX does have a rear instrument input. I don't believe it has whatever "special sauce" has been applied to the front input, but you should try it out and see how it works for you.
3. If you want seamless amp block switching, then you need to use 2 different amp blocks. Just set them up in parallel and use a specific button on your midi controller or scenes to switch between them (on my midi controller, I have a button that toggles between the Amp 1 and Amp 2, but there are plenty of other ways to do it)
4. There are two lights on the front labelled Out 1 Clip and Out 2 Clip. Look at those to see if you're clipping Output 1 or Output 2 alot :D
-
Austin

Thanks Austin.

I think the input on the rear is line level not instrument level which may explain the differences in tone and "Special Sauce" ?

So far I'm really enjoying playing with this unit. It's very different (in a good way) to any modeller I've played in the past. It's a bit of a beast and I can get it up the two flights if stairs in our house to where my music room is. What a pain in the ass that is with a mark v.

Thanks Austin.

I think the input on the rear is line level not instrument level which may explain the differences in tone and "Special Sauce" ?

So far I'm really enjoying playing with this unit. It's very different (in a good way) to any modeller I've played in the past. It's a bit of a beast and I can get it up the two flights if stairs in our house to where my music room is. What a pain in the ass that is with a mark v.
no, the rear input is for instruments.

Set it up tonight on the little pa and gave it a good crank. Just a few minor adjustments to the bass and mid range on the PEQ block and wow !

What a great piece of kit - well done FAS!

I decided in the end to throw caution to the wind and get an FR FR setup so I'm now "all in"

I got two Yamaha DXR10 speakers and I must say the sound quality is unreal. I'm very impressed with this setup now with the Axe FX and MFC Floorboard.

Back
Top Bottom