So CLR owners...

Wating for my two CLS cabs here in Copenhagen one thing came to my mind after having build numerous of hi-fi horn systems.

The CLS is way more than another box with a 12" dual-unit. The 12" bass/mid is actually hornloaded, making the transition to the tweeter much smother, resulting in a more broadband precise pointsource. The more I look into the design, the more I'm impressed by the design.

I havent heard it yet Richard, but from pictures it seems to be a technical pearl. Both the Matrix and the RCF wedge just use a twin-driver bolted to the front whereas the CLR mount the HF-driver infront of a horn-baffle to make the transition more seamless. That cannot other than help acoustically.

I have 2 CLRs, cab versions, and can say without hesitation they are absolutely fantastic. I have never, never, never looked to adjust the eq on the speakers. I am never happy with anything 100%, this may be an exception. They do not add color to the tone. They sound way bigger than they are. They spread sound amazingly and make it very hard to not be in a sweet spot its so wide. I am sure the built in amp is half the magic being perfectly matched to the cab and speaker and cant see why anyone wouldnt spend the few extra hundred for. If you are looking for impressive sound with zero colorization, and you never want to blame your speakers....CLR is it 100%.

Being only on the waiting list I had the priviledge of getting a response from Tom King concerning a question. I ahave made lot's of horn-speakers. And from the pictures of the CLR it was clear that the 12" woofer is hornloaded - with the massive HF driver anchored infront.
Even the biggest stack of Marshall 4X12 don't get near 100Hz, but thumps the frontrowers chest a bit over.
The CLR loads the 12" membrane in just this area and makes the transition to the HF-driver just perfect. (Probably cross-overed arund 2-3 kHz).
AND, I would stick to the active version. I just can't see how a passive network will do the active trick of making the two loudspeaker-units act like a coherent point-source without digital DSP.

Just my two cent.

I used my CLR at practice for the second time yesterday. I am in love with it. Big thumbs up from everyone in the band.

Back
Top Bottom