So close, I can taste it.

HAhN SOLO

Inspired
So I just got my FM9 last Friday, and I must say, it's a solid machine that many will enjoy for years to come.

However I'm not on that boat and I'll tell you why.

I got on the list and picked one up hoping to downsize my load in/out requirements, as well as having a handy rig for jam nights. Kind of hard to play Ozzy and Van Halen when the house band has a $100 Vox combo amp that farts out when you try to get any usable volume out of it 🤪

I feel the FM9 is perfect for the "live guitar" type of rig, where most people will have an amazing sound without any issues.

Unfortunately coming from the big brother AxeFxIII, it doesn't have the horsepower to pull off "my" sounds that I can't break myself away from.

Porting over my main preset from my III immediately went well beyond the FM9 CPU limits (I wasn't blind to the fact that this would happen), so I started to get creative with what I "really" need in a preset.

I didn't like the fact that even removing shunts visibly reduced the CPU, so I knew I had to be conservative all around.

Even removed my "lead boost" +3 filter block only used on lead scenes. Instead I used scene controllers to make all "lead" scenes 100% output block, and all others 96.4% to achieve a -3dbu for non-lead scenes.

My main cab blocks in my main presets are a blend of 2 Ultra-Res IR's, and this eats up a lot of CPU in the FM9. I also like to run a multi-band compressor post cab-pre delays/reverb to even out palm mutes and open notes for a nice even sound everywhere, a technique I took from mixing down guitar tones in my studio.

I tried to build my main preset from the ground up, as some of my techniques for building presets don't utilize many of the features in the newer firmware, as my main preset has travelled with me from 2014 when I had a IIXL.

I can't see how anyone can run 2 amp blocks (I only use/need one) at the same time, with multiple IR's, noise gate, wah, multi-pressor, OUT3 (I use this for my talkbox in between amp and cab blocks), delay, and reverb efficiently, let alone adding more effects into the chain.

The AxeFxIII really is the "studio in the box" type of rig, while the FM9 is a stage warrior.

If anyone has some presets that tickle the CPU limits, please feel free to share them with me so I can see if I can squeeze what I need out of this unit before it goes to the "FM9 FOR SALE" threads lol.

Thank you for coming to my Fred Talk lol. 🤘🤣🤙

For your boost, you might consider using a Control Switch. Attach one to the Level parameter of the amp block, set the Min to the existing value and the Max 3db higher. They can be used across scenes and assigned to all or a single channel.
CS Per Scene can let the scene change 'automagically' kick in a CS, too, so you get the benefits of the CS' instant access to multiple things via switch as well as the scene's ability to switch stuff together....

For live try not using Ultra Res IRs... You'll likely not hear any difference.

Also, you could potentially create a merged single IR if you aren't panning.

You can also use a lower quality setting in the Cab block Preamp (if you're using that).

Running 2 Amp blocks doesn't increase the CPU load - there's a dedicated processor for amp modeling.

Post a preset or two of yours and people can provide feedback on reducing CPU.

Another handy tip: remember that bypassed blocks still use CPU... but, many blocks have types the use less than others. So, for example, let's say you have 2 Drive blocks but only use 1 in scene. In the scenes where one is bypassed, set to Micro Boost. It uses less CPU.

For live try not using Ultra Res IRs... You'll likely not hear any difference.

Also, you could potentially create a merged single IR if you aren't panning.

You can also use a lower quality setting in the Cab block Preamp (if you're using that).

Running 2 Amp blocks doesn't increase the CPU load - there's a dedicated processor for amp modeling.

Post a preset or two of yours and people can provide feedback on reducing CPU.

Another handy tip: remember that bypassed blocks still use CPU... but, many blocks have types the use less than others. So, for example, let's say you have 2 Drive blocks but only use 1 in scene. In the scenes where one is bypassed, set to Micro Boost. It uses less CPU.
That's the thing, I AM panning them for a thick wide sound.

I can post my preset this week and would love some feedback on it. 🤙

Back
Top Bottom