So Cliff uses a Carvin Power Amp... why?

aksman

Inspired
I'm still trying to convince myself I don't need tubes and don't need my Mesa for the poweramp duties...

Cliff switched from VHT tube to Carvin solid state?
Why??? Performance or just because it's middle-ground for customers?
Speaker cab choice?

Opinions from anyone, or a comment from the master, please.

hi!
I've been using a power amplifier vht2/90/2 and the sound was fantastic, but I could not use the p.a sims.Now i'm using a ss Art sla 2,
For me it is the best option(ss).The sounds I'm getting are much better than the VHT.I`dont miss tubes and i can tweak better the sims.

Cheers

chapelizod said:
Scott Peterson said:
Umm, maybe ask Cliff?

isn't that basically what he did by posting here? i mean, he obviously keeps a close eye on the forum.

You might wanna PM him, might be quicker than waiting for him to stumble on this thread.

aksman said:
how you liking it? did you consider the new light-weight ones at all?

New light weight ones? Gotta check that out.

As far as liking it, it's pretty good, but different from the Lee Jackson Perfect Connection power amp I swapped out because the Lee Jackson was getting sick. The Lee Jackson was solid state, but it was designed to try to sound like at tube guitar power amp. The Carvin is more flat, so I'm still tweaking a bit to get a bit more extra warmth and thump back. Overall though, it sounds fine.

javajunkie said:
aksman said:

I believe he said weight

found the post:
I ditched my 2/50/2 in favor of a Carvin SS amp. The 2/50/2 sounded great but so does the Carvin and it weighs a lot less.

Thanks!!! Do you have any clue what one he switched to? I think a PM may be in order... but I don't want to bug him.

Anyone know what cab and speakers he (or anyone) uses with it? I guess I could start a new thread. I am really wanting an OS Port City 2x12 and am trying to decide what speakers to put in it. Daniel at Port City is recommending 2 Celestian V30, 2 Eminence Black Powder, or a Black Powder/Governor combo for the Axe. Some people love V30, others complain about "harsh mid range spike". The Port City design apparently smooths it out. He told me Greg Howe uses Eminence Cannabis Rex and Governors, but he didn't say if Greg uses those with the Axe or his tube amps. I'm using SS power amp (MosValve).

aksman said:
did some tube related replies from people get deleted????? they were not offensive to anyone!

Yeah, a few, I believe; more likely related to the server issues rather than offensive posting.

askman - the forum was rebuilt from a backup. There were a few days of posts lost. Not moderator removed.

Scott Peterson said:
askman - the forum was rebuilt from a backup. There were a few days of posts lost. Not moderator removed.

ahhhh, i see. in the wake of all of the moderator drama, i thought it may have been something silly.

Back
Top Bottom