Implemented Smoothing for Random LFO

I love using random LFOs, but on synths they usually have a control to smooth the edges, historically called a lag processor (actually a low-pass filter) so you can get a less sudden change in value. This is a nice thing with a panner or phaser to get unpredictable motion without sudden jumps. Also really good for tape flutter and very expressive on the cutoff of a low-pass filter for lo-fi vibes.

I just read the LFO section of the manual and didn't see this. Please let me know if it's hiding somewhere already!! It's hard to believe it's not here, actually....

The Axe FX III has a „High Cut“ parameter in the LFO 1+2 section. This smoothes out the edges on the „Random“ and other waveforms. I think its also in the FM3

In addition to the high cut filter on the LFO, you can smooth out the LFO when you attach it to a parameter. On the Modifier screen, where you attach the controller to the parameter and define the modifier curve, there are three settings that control this:

• Damping -- controls the type of damping applied. You can pick between Exponential and Linear here.
  • Attack -- controls the amount of damping applied to the attack edge of the modifier curve.
  • Release -- controls the amount of damping applied to the release edge of the modifier curve.

Dial up the attack and release on the curve where you've attached the parameter and it'll take off the edges.

Yeah I realize this in the middle of the night after I wrote that. There's a attack and decay parameter, which works awesome!

Sorry to make this a wish. I will be more careful to start a discussion next time. Is there any way for me to change the topic tag myself?

Edit: Guess not

Back
Top Bottom