Smooth ODS Clipping

bleujazz3

Fractal Fanatic
For those who have not experienced the joys of singing lead tone, I recently utilized an ODS-100 Clean and ODS-100 HRM amp block to create a gorgeous sounding amp tone. The caveat being the overdrive is a singing lead, unlike most heavier amp tones which tend to be crunchy with stronger square-wave clipping distortion.

Whatever the ODS-100 models are doing, the "secret sauce," the "unobtanium tone," FAS has captured it correctly and does it justice. While it makes good sense to pair the ODS models with the Rumble cabs for improved response, you can get slightly brighter tones with the Pre-Rola cab offerings as well.

Yet, like many purists, I prefer the ODS amps the way they were intended to be...the way to cultivate pure singing lead amp tone without sacrificing quality.

Thanks, Fractal!

For those who have not experienced the joys of singing lead tone, I recently utilized an ODS-100 Clean and ODS-100 HRM amp block to create a gorgeous sounding amp tone. The caveat being the overdrive is a singing lead, unlike most heavier amp tones which tend to be crunchy with stronger square-wave clipping distortion.

Whatever the ODS-100 models are doing, the "secret sauce," the "unobtanium tone," FAS has captured it correctly and does it justice. While it makes good sense to pair the ODS models with the Rumble cabs for improved response, you can get slightly brighter tones with the Pre-Rola cab offerings as well.

Yet, like many purists, I prefer the ODS amps the way they were intended to be...the way to cultivate pure singing lead amp tone without sacrificing quality.

Thanks, Fractal!
Can you share your preset?

OK, here's my LC ODS preset:
I've tweaked it so that I've got 4 scenes: CLEAN, CLN BOOST, CRUNCH, & LEAD.
The CLEAN utilizes a ODS-100 Clean, optimized for Overdrive, Gain & EQ.
The CLN BOOST is essentially the same amp block, except with tweak to bass, input gain switch up, and bright switch off.
The CRUNCH is an ODS-100 HRM, again, optimized for overdrive, gain & EQ. Master Level and Output Level vary slightly from the 1st 2 scenes.
Lastly, LEAD is an ODS-100 HRM Mid with slightly differing overdrive, gain, EQ, master and output levels.

My guitar volume and tone knobs are set at 4 Bass/Treble Volume, and 5 Tone/Tone. This allows for silly headroom that you'd normally never use at gigging volume. You could, but if perhaps you need to work with higher guitar knob volumes, just tweak the output levels of all scenes.

No special modulation except for delay and reverb present in all scenes. Adjust to taste if necessary.

Attachments

• LC ODS.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 37
The CLN BOOST is essentially the same amp block, except with tweak to bass, input gain switch up, and bright switch off.
The CRUNCH is an ODS-100 HRM, again, optimized for overdrive, gain & EQ. Master Level and Output Level vary slightly from the 1st 2 scenes.
Lastly, LEAD is an ODS-100 HRM Mid with slightly differing overdrive, gain, EQ, master and output levels.

My guitar volume and tone knobs are set at 4 Bass/Treble Volume, and 5 Tone/Tone. This allows for silly headroom that you'd normally never use at gigging volume. You could, but if perhaps you need to work with higher guitar knob volumes, just tweak the output levels of all scenes.

No special modulation except for delay and reverb present in all scenes. Adjust to taste if necessary.
Thanks, can't wait to try this out

Thanks, can't wait to try this out
For clarification, the 1st 2 scenes perform the same functions with the exceptions of input gain and bright switch. Although I don't recall, compression may be switched off in subsequent scenes to allow for "rounder" low-mid presence synonymous with jazz guitars.

That being said, you can dial in brighter tones without needing tweak any parameters, just use your guitar's 3-way toggle and tone knob.

Thanks!

What guitar(s) was this made with/for?
Not that it couldn't work for others, but as a baseline.

Thanks!

What guitar(s) was this made with/for?
Not that it couldn't work for others, but as a baseline.
Usually a semi-hollow body or hollow body guitar. Perhaps a chambered one, as well. I don't see any reason why it couldn't be used with an LP or single cut-style guitar either...might be a tad dark with the solid body...

Likely not voiced for single-coils, but adjustments could be possible...

Am utilizing an Epiphone Sheraton (MIK) semi-HB for my application. It works well. Not going to say you can't have fun with this, but I'll leave it to you to choose how things should be...

Last edited:

Hello, I also use a config based on the ODS amp which looks like your config. I currently use it to play in a modern jazz ensemble.
Here is the quick description:
scene 1: rhythmic clean, ODS100 Clean, PEQ1 is active; it simulates a single coil pickup
scene 2: lead clean, clean ODS100 a little bit tweaked
scene 3: Lead crunch, ODS100-Ford
scene 4: lead more crunch, ODS100-Ford
scene 5: Lead high gain, USA Pre Lead 2 Yellow.....if needed
CAB: Mixing of 2 IRs 4X12 RUMBLE on all scenes to maintain tonal coherence

GEQ1 is my lead boost if needed
PEQ2 is a global tonal correction to complement global OUT1EQ if needed

I use this patch with 2 HH guitars:
My Marceau strat equipped with HH Seymour Duncan TB4 + SH1N
and my new Kiesel Osiris equipped with 2 Kiesel Alan Oldsworth humbuckers.
It is therefore the configuration that I use in rehearsal connected to a mixer and 2 Yamaha DXR 12
OUT1 EQ is activated with a parametric correction (see screenshots)

Download link

Attachments

• Capture ODS 1.PNG
    Capture ODS 1.PNG
    152.3 KB · Views: 18
  • Capture ODS 2.PNG
    Capture ODS 2.PNG
    85.6 KB · Views: 19
  • Larry.Jazzy.V3.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Hello, I also use a config based on the ODS amp which looks like your config. I currently use it to play in a modern jazz ensemble.
scene 1: rhythmic clean, ODS100 Clean, PEQ1 is active; it simulates a single coil pickup

It is therefore the configuration that I use in rehearsal connected to a mixer and 2 Yamaha DXR 12

Download link
Thanks very much for this. I've not tried your rig yet, because my preference is to keep it to 4 scenes. I'll check the screenshot images in a second to glean something of value. Thanks again.

Download link
Curious - why is the Wah in parallel?

This is gonna sound a bit obvious...but if I read @Lolo-G correctly, to allow for dry and wet signal to blend together? That way, you get the dry signal and wah for a more interesting effect...not what I'd usually do, but it's an interesting idea...

Perhaps I'm second-guessing, but it makes sense...

This allows me a precise dosage of the WHA effect
in my case 50% dry 50% wet, we could do 40% - 60% etc ....
the sum of the 2 signals is always 100% which avoids having too high a level at the input of the AMP block.

This allows me a precise dosage of the WHA effect
in my case 50% dry 50% wet, we could do 40% - 60% etc ....
the sum of the 2 signals is always 100% which avoids having too high a level at the input of the AMP block.
That was my guess since there was a Mixer block after. Thanks for clarifying.

Great preset, very smooth. I edited it a bit for my telecaster and my preferences.

Attachments

• LC ODS - Tele.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 8
Back
Top Bottom