Smooth balanced IRS for higher gain Marshall tones

I know a lot of people are doing that but i find that to cause a lot of ear fatigue. And each time you change the ir your ears are comparing with only the previous one.
Once I flipped 20 irs (Wich is not that much in a row) I am completely lost.

I still didn’t found a great way to choose irs.

As I tweak my tone only for live use, it’s adding even more difficulties.

Try this…for leads & comps

Loop a track or a backing track on a good system at or near gig volume (Flat EQ).

Loop the axe.

Flip through irs

Narrow the candidates

Audition some more

Select the winner(s)

I like the Citrus Dynacab. It’s listed as a V30 on Wiki but it has more lower mids and less top end than most V30 IR’s I’ve tried.

I bought the YA Friedman 4x12 bundle a while back and these are now my go to IRs for high gain stuff. Specifically, I discovered the blended FRED mix is perfect for live applications.

One thing I've discovered with my search for the right IR is that it is entirely dependent on the use case. Going back to the FRED mix with that Friedman IR, this was by no means my favorite tone when auditioning at home. I thought a few of the other options were juicier when just playing my guitar by itself. However, when I auditioned my top picks in a band mix, those juicier options just didn't quite hold up and that is where the FRED really shined. I just think this is something you should keep in mind when selecting an IR.

If we're just throwing names of packs out, I would include the OH mmmc gnr pack and the OH evolution packs. Best money I've ever spent on IRs. For really warm I would add the York Fane FN50
Just mixing the 121 and 57 and varying the ratio gives so many options. Thousands of IRs in the pack.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good for rhythm and lead

could be one for both or multiple selections

what are your go to cabs.
I am not in a position to look it up, but recently I stumbled upon a video from ML sound labs (video is massive a year old) where he auditions a bunch of irs with a heavy riff and explains where each mic/cab does what it does.

Granted the cabs are specific to his company, but he is very knowledgeable about what mashed cabs sound good when used in high gain situations.

Worth finding the video if you can.

Back
Top Bottom