Smallest FRFR for Practice with Band

SlasherMcGurk

Curious if anyone has experience with good FRFR speakers that are SMALL.

The 10 and 12 inch powered PAs I have used are great, but in regular practice situations they're WAY more than I need. I'm wondering if anyone found a really small speaker that accurately produces your modeler, but is still loud enough to play over drums in a practice space. (I run into FOH for gigs, so my speaker is just a monitor).

Anything? Alto Trouper? Yamaha HS8?

For what it's worth, my regular speaker is my Headrush FRFR12 but bought an Alto TS308 about 6 weeks ago.
Now it is very tiny but packs the same 2000 (actually 1000) watts as the Headrush. I think Headrush rebadged the TS312 as they are identical and the TS308 is scaled down with an 8 inch speaker but the same power amp.

The TS308 is now readily available and would recommend at least trying one out.

Why not just use a 10 or 12” ? Will sound fine even at lower volume levels. I use my CLR’s for even late night playing.

Not a massive size saving in the smaller options IMO, and I’d personally rather have extra power than not enough

I picked up an Alto TS310 a few weeks ago... it works great in the studio and at the one small gig I've played. And I can just turn it down to whatever volume I need. (that's probably the first time in the history of rock and roll that a guitarist ever said that! ;-)

Ive had a Laney IRTX for a while and that's really good and very small
Just got a Yamaha Dxr10 that a little bigger and pretty amazeballs

Plenty of choice out there

Curious if anyone has experience with good FRFR speakers that are SMALL.

The 10 and 12 inch powered PAs I have used are great, but in regular practice situations they're WAY more than I need. I'm wondering if anyone found a really small speaker that accurately produces your modeler, but is still loud enough to play over drums in a practice space. (I run into FOH for gigs, so my speaker is just a monitor).

Anything? Alto Trouper? Yamaha HS8?
I wanted to go smaller and went from a QSC K10 to a K8.2 and that little bugger kicked booty!!! I will say, the QSC has some hyped areas of eq, I have since moved to the CLR and will never look back!!!

I wanted to go smaller and went from a QSC K10 to a K8.2 and that little bugger kicked booty!!! I will say, the QSC has some hyped areas of eq, I have since moved to the CLR and will never look back!!!
How does the 8.2 compare to the CLR? Obvious design differences, duly noted.

How does the 8.2 compare to the CLR? Obvious design differences, duly noted.

I would say that the K8 and k10 had some harsh high end for guitar where the CLR didn't. I attributed that to the fact that most powered PA speakers in that price range are eq'ed to sound flattering across the board. They are not intended to be flat. So the difference would be in translation. I have found that presets I build using the CLR translates better to different FHO systems where as with the QSC stuff the sound man may have to do some additional eq work. You can tweak just about any of them to sound good consistently, while on the floor facing you. I also use my CLR for vocal monitoring and it sounds amazing. If you have the funds just go for the CLR. Its relatively small for having a 12inch woofer. I have used the K10, K8.2 and a Friedman ASM12 and none of them compared to the CLR. It was an "AH HA!" moment when I first plugged it in.

Reactions: JTI
I would say that the K8 and k10 had some harsh high end for guitar where the CLR didn't. I attributed that to the fact that most powered PA speakers in that price range are eq'ed to sound flattering across the board. They are not intended to be flat. So the difference would be in translation. I have found that presets I build using the CLR translates better to different FHO systems where as with the QSC stuff the sound man may have to do some additional eq work. You can tweak just about any of them to sound good consistently, while on the floor facing you. I also use my CLR for vocal monitoring and it sounds amazing. If you have the funds just go for the CLR. Its relatively small for having a 12inch woofer. I have used the K10, K8.2 and a Friedman ASM12 and none of them compared to the CLR. It was an "AH HA!" moment when I first plugged it in.
I have a CLR and it's awesome. I have a pair of Alesis Alpha monitors as well. They are definitely eq'd to be more "flattering". The .2 series of QSC always catch my eye as a good alternative.

I have heard Jay is working on a smaller sized powered speaker. I'm definitely down with giving it a go when it does come out as the CLR itself is great.

I,m using a qsc k2 10” and find it has to much in the highs and lows. I've messed with the eq . Not saying it’s bad , but I’m looking for something different . To expensive to try all the options. ,xitone ,Friedman,mission,
Atomic ,line 6 , HeadRush , redsound, etc.

Back
Top Bottom