Small VSTi/Kotakt trick I learned last night

Womac911

Inspired
I mess around with soem VSTi and Kotakt stuff on occasion, but I really don't like recording via Midi much. Always had issue with it. I always wished I could record the audio straight from Kontakt, bypassing the Midi tracking entirely.

Well, I learned last night that I can.

Set Kontakt up to use the Axe as the sound card. I've done that before.
What I never considered though, was setting the Axe up for USB input.

Bypass patch.

Record in DAW.

Presto.

Add effect to taste. :ugeek

... Or you could just use a bus internally. What DAW are you using? Since I have Cubase here at home I'll step you through in that program, from an empty session.

Add a vst instrument to the rack.
Select "yes" to add a midi track for your vst instrument automatically
Make a group track (project - add track - group track) let's leave it called "group 1"
Make an audio track
Set the output of the vst instrument to group 1
Set the input of the audio track to group 1
Make sure both midi and audio tracks are record enabled.
Hit record.
Make music.

Bonus: you are catching the audio directly in real time, and also catching the midi just in case you ever want it. And you can use that one group track again and again.

That's cubase, and I did this in Pro Tools all the time when I was doing that professionally, but I'd be surprised if there were any modern DAWs that couldn't do this.

... Or you could just use a bus internally. What DAW are you using? Since I have Cubase here at home I'll step you through in that program, from an empty session.

Add a vst instrument to the rack.
Select "yes" to add a midi track for your vst instrument automatically
Make a group track (project - add track - group track) let's leave it called "group 1"
Make an audio track
Set the output of the vst instrument to group 1
Set the input of the audio track to group 1
Make sure both midi and audio tracks are record enabled.
Hit record.
Make music.

Bonus: you are catching the audio directly in real time, and also catching the midi just in case you ever want it. And you can use that one group track again and again.

That's cubase, and I did this in Pro Tools all the time when I was doing that professionally, but I'd be surprised if there were any modern DAWs that couldn't do this.

The only thing I've ever gotten along with is Adobe Audition. Perhaps because of my Cool Edit roots. Things like Cubase and I don't get along well, although I do have it, I rarely use it. The MIDI routing gives me fits.
I have Pro Tools too, and I hate it. Hate.

Back
Top Bottom