Small Modeler with headphone out

flump

Inspired
Admittedly I'm not all that up on what is available currently at the moment. What I'm looking for is the following.

Very small modeler that has a headphone out. I'm just looking to get maybe 3 passable tones out of this thing. Clean, gritty, distorted. I don't even care if they are all that good. I want something that fits in the gig bag with my guitar. Preferably wall wart powered as opposed to battery only. This is just so I can actually hear my guitar for example at lunch at work. I really don't even want to spend more than a couple hundred bucks on this.

Right now I'm thinking of just picking up an old used pod bean? Any other suggestions?

Do you have an iPad..?

If so, then Positive Grid BIAS with an Apogee One interface and you're sorted
thumbsup.gif

I'm actually all android, but I'd also rather not have a potentially expensive tablet be what I'm carrying around with me. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Any other suggestions?

Absolutely can't beat the Vox Amplug for $45-$50. Sounds amazing and it also has an audio-in jack so you can play along to a BT.

amPlug 2 Guitar/Bass Headphone Amplifiers

There are 3 versions to choose from. I have the Top Boost version and it sounds great. It appears they've also improved it with the release of Amplug2.

This is the clip that blew me away and convinced me to buy one;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCoH63nVepk

Pat is a great player, but the Amplug sounds really good. It's an analog circuit and you can use effects pedals into it, as you can see by Pat's chain, listed in the details; Strat -> Triad (pre-amp) -> TC D-TWO -> Vox Amplug (AC-30).

Zoom G1on. $49.99. Has a looper and drum patterns for practicing. Lots of ways to power the thing, too. Stock presets most likely stink, though. Great bang-for-buck stuff.

I own a Korg Pandora PX4. Don't know if they are still available new, I guess I have mine for 10 years or so. Nice Sound, fun to play, tuner, rhytm engine, ...really cool .

I think the Vox stuff is much better than the Korg Pandora stuff- but I think the Korg Pandora stuff is much better than your Line 6 or other options

I LOVE the Digitech Genesis 1
You can get them for literally $30
and I've recorded hundreds of hours of demos on them

Great compressor, noise gate, effects, reverb and delay-
It's better than a Pod/line6 stuff for nothing.

Have a look at this- GT100 version 2.0 in a box - small and relatively inexpensive.

Boss GT-001 Guitar Effects Processor

Tech 21 Flyrig5, $249 list (saw one for $169.95 Buy It Now on eBay today). Three tones, with some good reverb, fits in the strap pocket of my PRS 513 case, comes with wall wart power supply (doesn't work on batteries). And you can plug it into an amp (with the SansAmp section off) or into a PA if you want to jam with others. I love mine, it's my traveling backup to the Axe Fx.

Thank you guys for all the suggestions. Right now that Pandora mini has me really interested, but I'm going to do some research on all these. The only one of all these I even knew existed was the amplugs.

The Pandora mini looks interesting. How does it sound?

Like ass. :) But these gizmos all sound like ass in headphones. Some of them can be made to sound decent through fx loop return though. I wish Cliff would produce something in this market segment, but being a small company Fractal needs to focus, and that's why I don't expect my wishes to ever come true.

Right now your best bet is a phone app for an iPhone or iPad. Android does not have a low latency audio API, so there are no decent modelers available for it. Another, slightly less portable option is a modeler on your laptop. Laptops can be pretty small these days, too.

I own a Korg Pandora PX4. Don't know if they are still available new, I guess I have mine for 10 years or so. Nice Sound, fun to play, tuner, rhytm engine, ...really cool .
This. I have the PX5D and it's a great little practice/travel gizmo. I pack it in a small hard shell GPS case and toss it in the storage compartment in my guitar case. Works great.

Absolutely can't beat the Vox Amplug for $45-$50. Sounds amazing and it also has an audio-in jack so you can play along to a BT.

amPlug 2 Guitar/Bass Headphone Amplifiers

There are 3 versions to choose from. I have the Top Boost version and it sounds great. It appears they've also improved it with the release of Amplug2.

This is the clip that blew me away and convinced me to buy one;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCoH63nVepk

Pat is a great player, but the Amplug sounds really good. It's an analog circuit and you can use effects pedals into it, as you can see by Pat's chain, listed in the details; Strat -> Triad (pre-amp) -> TC D-TWO -> Vox Amplug (AC-30).

Cool vid and nice playing and tone but he is also using another $400 worth of outboard gear to get it there... so not really a honest demo.

These demos give you a better idea of what it sounds like with just the Amplug by itself direct, which is still not half bad for a $50 head jamer. I don't know who the player is but he is pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom