Small mic + cable + accessory case

gdgross

Experienced
I've gone far too long without proper cases for my PA gear. Running an 8 channel mixer into the L/R house and usually 2 monitor wedges. At MOST will use 5 mics at once: 2x Vox, 3x Drums; everything else is always direct. Usually with the band we'll use all eight inputs on the mixer or close to it depending on the gig.

I'm looking for a medium/small case/bag that will house all of my cables, mics, DI boxes, etc. Right now I'm carrying everything in an assortment of bags, and it's a recipe for losing things and disorganization. I've seen those SKB ones, but they have too many mic spots, and not enough space for cables/adapters/etc. Probably need to house 16 cables, plus power cords, mic clips, adapters, etc.

Any ideas on a good bag or case for this use case? (If it's big enough, it could house the mixer too...it's a mackie DL08)

Thanks!

All depends on how resourceful you want to get and if you want to spend $5 or $500 on a case. That being said, here's a few options:

Pelican Cases. Lots to choose from, but expensive.
Apache Cases at Harbor Freight. Anywhere from $50-$150.
Guitar Cases like this could be repurposed. It'd be a shame to get a new case and rip out the internal form though.
Depending on how much stuff you need to move and how many trips you want to take, these Rolling Toolboxes can be a nice option.

Now don't laugh... but I swear by getting old hard shell suitcases (Samsonite) from the thrift store. They cost about $3.49 and last a long time. I've found the latches are the first things to break. When the do I just go hunt for a new case.

If you get an empty case and want to make 'foam forms' for mics and di's, I'd recommend getting some of these Anti Fatigue mats, glue them together, trace your forms with a Sharpie, then cut out your forms with a box cutter. You could get case foam here, but it's expensive.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom