Small Gig with Genelec 8050a instead of Fender FR-10?

DGD

Gig with Genelec 8050a (8inch) VS Fender FR-10?

I really like my Genelec 8010 speakers I was wondering if I buy larger version of these speakers (which I found 8050a pair for $1500 locally) can I do small gigs with them
Looks like they can be loud as fender Fr-10 (125db) and pair or FR-10 cost similar $
Any thoughts?

My only thought is that they aren’t made to lug around from gig to gig, and won’t cop a stubby being thrown at them ( ask me how I know! ). They will sure sound good though!

If it’s for any gig with other instruments or drums, I think you’d be disappointed and ruin them. 100 dab or so max. Unprotected nearfield studio mon on a stage? Not a good idea IMO, but you do you.
Yep, they call them studio monitors for a reason. biggrin.gif

I own a pair of 8250As, and run them out of my UAD Apollo in my music-making rig. I also use them to get my FM9 sounds. They are basically the 8050As except with Genelec SAM calibration compatibility. With the GLM software, they sound so, so good. Actually they sound amazing without calibration, just a bit too bass-y. I have a ton of experience with these speakers over the course of many years, and I would urge you NOT to gig with them. They can push some serious SPLs, but they will not be nearly loud enough for a gig. These speakers are not designed to project sound like a guitar amp. There’s not actually enough juice in the tank to absorb the peaks and excitement of a gig. I can get them to distort without much work (you can hear the distortion and see the green lights go red).

When I use these speakers to get sounds or jam along with YouTube videos, I need to go into GLM and turn the master fader up from my standard -10 to 0. This gives me the most headroom before distorting. If I don’t do that, the speakers just don’t sound right with a reasonably loud guitar and they compress a bit.

These are great studio monitors. Don’t take them to gigs. But if pair that is local to you is in good shape, I’d consider getting them and use these speakers to get amazing sounds at home.

Back
Top Bottom