Small basic monitors, do they sound okay?

For now I'm just running my AX8 through headphones until I can decide on some speakers. Since the AX8 doesn't have a headphone jack I have been eyeing some of the smaller studio monitors that also have a headphone jack purely for convenience. The only music store within a 2 hr drive of me only has 2-3 sets of monitors setup to demo, so I can't really try any myself. Has anyone tried something like the Presonus Eris E4.5? I know they won't be amazing, has anyone tried them, and are they alright for playing at home?

Re: "small monitors" – I had a pair of JBL 4408 (8" woofer, dome HF) "bridge" monitors quietly gathering dust on the Old Gear Shelf, minding their own business. Decided one rainy Saturday afternoon to pull out a Crown D75 amplifier and the 4408's to create a small XL+ system. Loud? Not really, but certainly loud enough for a small room and/or loud enough to bother the Next Doors after midnight. Sounds OK? Sounds GREAT, actually.

Re: Eris 4.5's – these are an order of magnitude smaller, but I think their ability to satisfy you will be related to the room you're in and how much LF content (and volume) you seek. Take your AX8 to the store with you, and try to demo them in a similar environment to your own.

I think that just about any pair of small FRFR speakers will do the job – as long as they are actually FRFR and reach the volume level you seek without distorting by themselves. YMMV, as they say – but you DO get a nifty headphone amp in the bargain.

Come to think of it - the D75 has a hella-strong headphone jack on the front panel...

Last edited:
They don't have a headphone jack but I'm really liking the JBL 305s. Sounds made on them translate very well to FOH. Virtually all the two the three hundred dollar monitors are decent these days. It's more about what flavor you want than anything. I personally didn't like the Eris sound profile, but they are worth trying. It wasn't bad, I just preferred the JBLs in the same price range.

After a year or 2 with Rokit 5's I am looking for something else. Small monitors sound good a low volumes, but doesn't sound like a real amp, as you lose a lot of low end, and too much high end.

Some of our engineers use the Eris monitors and are happy with them.

Your question is self-fulfilling; I think its operative term is "basic" in which I read "inexpensive". With monitors, I have found you generally get what you pay for. Some very small monitors sound incredible. Some very large monitors sound terrible. I also think that in the right circumstances, one can find a way to be very happy with most monitors of any size/budget. You probably wouldn't mix a Grammy-nominated album on "basic" monitors, but I've seen some of the world's greatest guitar players happily writing/recording using speakers such as: a) A bluetooth speaker intended for use at a campfire b) Monitors so old and destroyed it was a miracle any sound at all was produced c) Home entertainment system.

Thanks for all the replies. I think I’m going to try to find a place where I can order a couple sets of monitors, and return what doesn’t work since I can’t demo anything interesting near by. I might get the presonus ones just because they have a headphone jack so they will kill two birds.

Your question is self-fulfilling; I think its operative term is "basic" in which I read "inexpensive". With monitors, I have found you generally get what you pay for....... c) Home entertainment system.
This option should not be overlooked...I’ve recently discovered that running my AX8 digital out right into my basic , but not inexpensive, McIntosh 7600 reciever and Monitor Audio floors and sub , is very bitchen.

Funny, I saw a pair of these on C.V.'s desk 2 weeks ago and I asked how he liked them. (took my AX8 in to be looked at)

I've seen some reviews on the higher end Presonus monitors and people have loved them.
I'm guessing the Eris are decent for home office type situations.
I think you could likely get the Axe to sound very good out of them.

I have Equator D5's, and they're great. If you can find a pair on the used market, they're a good purchase.

Here is an awesome resource:

hxxps://soundcloud.com/sonic-sense-pro-audio/sets/studio-monitors

Check it out on any decent pair of headphones and you'll be able to tell the overall characteristics of each pair of studio monitors and narrow down your preferences.

Edit: Sorry, it kept messing up the link when I embedded it. Please change the xx to tt.

I decided to go with a single JBL 305P MkII. I’ll buy a second once I sell some other gear. They seem to be regarded as one of the best bang for the buck monitors. And since it is a new model it will be easy to add a second in the future.

Back
Top Bottom