SM57 & MD421 Combo in a Live Mix?

Goonie

Inspired
I know it's all pretty subjective... I've been toying with the idea of using 57/421 for live stuff. Wondering if any other users are fond of that combo as well or have any insight of how well it works in a mix. I'm a Marshall guy and also fancy a Friedman type v30/m25 cab mix.

For reference, I'm playing covers of pretty much everything E flat (90's & 2000's alternative, blues rock, hard rock, 80's hair, 70's & 80's rock) in a 3 piece with singer. I'm the only guitarist. Nothing downtuned or super heavy like LOG, Slipknot, Pantera, etc (although I do like it!)

I use this exact combo and really enjoy it. Seems to cut very well and have a pleasant full sound. I much prefer it to the 57/121 mix. I personally think the 121 combo has to much low mids but everyone is different.

I use this exact combo and really enjoy it. Seems to cut very well and have a pleasant full sound. I much prefer it to the 57/121 mix. I personally think the 121 combo has to much low mids but everyone is different.
Thanks for the reply. The 57/121 usually seems scooped to me no matter how much I crank the mids. I've also been messing with using a single 421. Good results there too.

Tonight i A B'ed some single shot Ir's. I tried sm57 and md421 alone and blended. Hard to say which i like more but i prefer them blended. I feel like depending on the day i'd probably change my mind on which mic i like more 😄.

Tonight i A B'ed some single shot Ir's. I tried sm57 and md421 alone and blended. Hard to say which i like more but i prefer them blended. I feel like depending on the day i'd probably change my mind on which mic i like more 😄.
I was doing that earlier today too.
I'm gonna throw a few scenes together with each (57, 421, and a blend) and see how that fairs at rehearsal and test them at the next gig.
I'm still partial to the Ownhammer IR's. I also find that cutting a couple dB at 400hz clears up some muddiness.

Back
Top Bottom