SLO100 settings....rhythm/lead

The_Kid

Experienced
I know this is a monster amp in real life....but I have a hard time dialing it in to something I like. Do you have any settings I can try to maybe get me in the ballpark?

i think the key with this amp, as is with most, is to get an ir that is the sound you want. if you've got the right ir you shouldnt have to tweak an amp too much beyond basic settings.

Thanks Atom, I shall try those when I get a chance later this week. And I agree jlynn, I usually have some 'stock' IR cabs that I always use and try to tweak my tones around, but some amps you just have to dial up some 'basic settings' and then start looking at cabs. I think my IR's use V30's so I usually only have to tweak the mic/position to adjust the amount of high end and 'closeness'.

I've tried dialing in this amp at times and havent had much success....but I shall try again...

I had pretty good success using the tv mix. It was a good tone, just more than I needed for what I was dojng

I did some Google searching when putting together the wiki Cabs page.

Few people like to play the SLO with a V30.
Unless you're Warren Hayes, but then you'd be playing a modded SLO with far from default settings.

The Soldano cabs pair well of course, as do the EVM 12L speakers.

A SLO works well with MV at 5 or higher, and keeping gain low, such as around 2.50.

Some players keep Treble/Presence very low too.

Thanks Yek, I will look into some different cabs as I've been happy with the IR's i've been using and havent found a need to change them much...but I've been craving to dial in this amp.

I thought the SLO100 was more of a lower MV type amp because it got more preamp style gain to it...I could be wrong as I've never played one in real life, but thats what I remember.

thanks for the read Yek, I love cliff's little snippets of humor when describing the volume of the amp, LMAO

Reactions: yek
After reading this thread I made a patch with the German Cab which I liked, but I did not test it at volume yet...

No idea what the german cab is supposed to be exactly but it fitted the amp quite well I thought.

Jens

Here you go. For some reason I always think people talk about more stuff with lots of gain, so that's how I made the patch. That said I really like the way my humbucker guitar sounds throught this patch.

Patch is just amp and cab, if you want more whoomp on your palm mutes then cut less in the Xformer low freq, having it in there has something, but I am not sure it sounds great in a band then...

Maybe I'll try to make more of a crunch sounding patch too.

Jens

Attachments

• Slo Burn.syx
    2 KB · Views: 15
And here's a more crunch sounding attempt with the Solo 100. I think that the open A string being too loud in the beginning is more due to my Pick and fingers technique than the patch. Since everything is like 5 min tweaking, 5 min recording 10 minutes posting I am not taking too much care with that.

The Patch is using the 4x12 30w cab. Somehow the EQ of this amp is modern to me? It is nice that it does not get as ice-picky as many other amps that you turn up the MV with.

Jens

Attachments

• Slo Blues.syx
    2 KB · Views: 4
The 4x12 30w is one of the best and well-balanced stock cabs in the first gen units. But I'm prejudiced, I'm a G12H fan.

The 4x12 30w is one of the best and well-balanced stock cabs in the first gen units. But I'm prejudiced, I'm a G12H fan.

It does indeed come across as one of the cabs that is the easiest to dial in a lot of amps with. I might have to consider myself a fan to, if for no other reason that I have a lot of patches with the 2x12 G12H cab. :)

Jens

Reactions: yek
The SLO is one of my favorie amps in the Axe. I put my master volume around 6-6.5 with the gain set low, like 3-4. Presence around 4, depth 0, bass,mid,treble to taste and to get Haynes mod just bypass the Bright cap on the treble. For cabs, I like blending cabs, like a V30/G65 like Warren Haynes uses. My fav mix is the scumback H75,M75 for that EVH tone. The IR's from either Redwirez or OH will do.

Back
Top Bottom