Sleep Token sounds

Zac Hudson

In honor of this album being out today, can we have a discussion on what amp sounds in the Axe-FX would get an approximation? My usual goto amps are Mark series and the occasional 5153 and I'm having trouble getting close. Obviously a lot of this is likely aided by mixing and overdubbing but I just wanted to see if anyone else had a better idea of where to start.

Vessel's tones seem a bit looser in the bottom end than the 5150 type amps. Maybe more of a recto type vibe? Doesn't strike me as a super tight modern thing.

I'm working on a Bad Omens type of tone. It's only in the infant stages and will be a long work in progress. I know it's not the same tone but you might be able to use it a base. Probably a bit too bright especially for Sleep Token.

Attachments

• Bad Omens.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 16
  • ModernHeavy.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 14
I also found this. Have no idea what kind of plugin he's using (I can't even see an amp name or anything in his settings) but if someone knows how to tonematch, it could be a good reference.

That video uses some random plugin. My man, bad omens is another favorite of mine, we just saw them at kattfest and may be heading to wichita to seem them headline later this year. I'm not near my equipment at the moment to check your presets out, what amp are you using as the base? These bands have a grind to them that I haven't figured out yet. I'm more used to the smooth gain of the marks and similar.

For reference 2 of my guitars are drop C and I have a KM-7 in drop A, I just can't replicate it. Also bad omens trips me out because their stuff is so simple but so damn catchy. Its a big difference learning one of their songs vs my usual trying to stumble my way through a periphery song.

That video uses some random plugin. My man, bad omens is another favorite of mine, we just saw them at kattfest and may be heading to wichita to seem them headline later this year. I'm not near my equipment at the moment to check your presets out, what amp are you using as the base? These bands have a grind to them that I haven't figured out yet. I'm more used to the smooth gain of the marks and similar.

For reference 2 of my guitars are drop C and I have a KM-7 in drop A, I just can't replicate it. Also bad omens trips me out because their stuff is so simple but so damn catchy. Its a big difference learning one of their songs vs my usual trying to stumble my way through a periphery song.
I believe they play guitars in stereo and certainly double or quad tracked. I also think they have a lot of post-production with lows and bass that is behind the scenes and not actually part of the core guitar tone that makes it sound so full and thick.

Back
Top Bottom