Slate VMS ML-1

I just sold mine. It sounded great! I do think that the real deal of any of the mics it models are likely to sound 'better'. Specifically, the Slate seems to lack some detail even when sounding very much like what it's modeling. It's probably not gonna' matter in the mix. Technically, though, the Slate is a cheap Chinese mic. There's a reason they can afford to give ridiculous discounts. There's nothing special about that hardware.

That said, I'm in the process of building a high quality u47 clone. The Slate helped me understand how the different mics worked with my voice and just generally what people mean when they discuss different microphone characteristics.

Also, I almost went for the Townsend Sphere. You should check that one out. I think it's a better mic.

the $499 is without the preamp.

How are you liking it ?

I think it's fantastic. The mic is very natural (boring?) and works great with its software. I use it with my UAD Apollo Twin-X instead of the preamp it came with and sounds great through that as well.

I think it's fantastic. The mic is very natural (boring?) and works great with its software. I use it with my UAD Apollo Twin-X instead of the preamp it came with and sounds great through that as well.

Thanks, man !

I‘ll be trying it thru my MOTU adapter which I think is fairly clean so hopefully doesn‘t color the sound.

Its basically to microphones what Fractal is to guitar amps :)

So I got it yesterday and only had a chance to check it out last night for a little while but quick opinion is that it’s pretty cool !

looking forward to messing more with it this weekend.

So I’ve had lots of times to mess more with the ML-1 and I’m really digging it. Acoustics guitars sound great (I don’t remember which sim but I added it to my DAW template) as do vocals.

i think $499 was a good deal. I do see however that the other microphone packs are a bit pricey though....$199 for the “Blackbird” mics...maybe later as im pretty happy with the eight it came with.

I’m a bit confused. What do you get for the $499. The mic itself, but do you get the modeling software too? Or do you need to buy their preamp for that?

I’m a bit confused. What do you get for the $499. The mic itself, but do you get the modeling software too? Or do you need to buy their preamp for that?

The mic comes with the software as without the software its pretty much just a generic flat condenser mic. However WITH the software its pretty amazing.

I didn't get the preamp as I'm just using one I already have.

Back
Top Bottom