Slash "Appetite for Destruction"

I made this preset for the AX8 back in 2018 but I spent some time with it today to bring it over to the current generation.
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/slash-“appetite-for-destruction”.139683/

This preset started from another preset floating around here, I can't remember where it's from, but it's heavily edited. I tried to make this an all-in-one Slash - Appetite preset. This does not cover Izzy's tone. These IR's were made using a Les Paul with Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro bridge and neck pickups, same as Slash used. I use a variety of high gain pickups (JB, Distortion, L500XL, Dimebucker, Invader, Dirty Fingers...) and to me the differences aren't drastic, it still sounds like the same preset so I wouldn't worry if you have different gear.

So this is a pretty simply preset, but it has a lot of options. I tonematched for both the bridge and neck pickup, saved to X/Y cabs. The tone isn't very different between the two tonematches, but I wanted a neck as well just for to be sure. It's not perfect, but it's getting there.

Scene 1 - 4 is the X cab, so tonematched to the bridge pickup.
Scene 1 is the dry rhythm bridge tone. Heard on pretty much every song.
Scene 2 is the same but with reverb. I use this for the Sweet Child solo, Paradise City intro solo, as well if I want to play something post Appetite.
Scene 3 is the very first delay heard on Welcome to the Jungle. It's a bit longer at 425ms. This is for the very beginning, before the riff really starts.
Scene 4 is the same but with the delay set to 320ms. This is for the intro riff, sliding fills throughout the song, and Sweet Child (most of the song).

I scored a Roland SRV-2000 for $100 recently, so I tried to replicate the tone. Surprisingly it was dead on other than slightly increasing the feedback. I A/B'ed between the two and could not hear even the slightest difference.

Scene 5 and 6 is the Y cab, so tonematched to the neck pickup.
Scene 5 is the same as 4, the shorter delay but again with the Y cab. I use this exclusively for Sweet Child.
Scene 6 is the same as scene 1 but with the Y cab. It really just gives you two slightly different options for the rhythm tone. I prefer scene 1.

Lastly but very important, is Control Switch 1. Control switch 1 lowers the amp gain, slightly raises the volume, while also adding in a chorus pedal. Rolling back the guitar volume knob cleans up the tone, but not enough for these higher gain pickups. This will lower the gain but also raise the volume to compensate. The control switch works separately from the scenes, so it can be activated and deactivated while using any scene. For example: Paradise City I'll use scene 1 for a completely dry rhythm tone, roll my volume down on the bridge pickup, and activate CS1. As the heavy part comes in I'll roll the volume back up and deactivate CS1. If I hit scene 1 again, it'll jump me to scene 2 which has the reverb, not what I want.
The reason for this switch rather than a second cleaner amp was simply I didn't want the audio cutout when switching amps.

Attachments

• AFD.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 135
  • Sweet Child.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 133
  • Appetite Slash.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Hello! The 2 cabs are working but somehow when importing the preset it says it is an unsuported format. Could you please reuploaded it? I'm a big Slash fan and would really love to try it as it seems you've done a very consistent work. Thank You!

Hello! The 2 cabs are working but somehow when importing the preset it says it is an unsuported format. Could you please reuploaded it? I'm a big Slash fan and would really love to try it as it seems you've done a very consistent work. Thank You!
Try it now, not sure why it didn't work before but I re-uploaded the preset.

Last edited:
Hi there! Just like to chip in with a compliment - your preset sounds really good. Even better than some of the slash preset I’ve bought. And I play each note with gratitude. Can I also confirm Cab x is AFD and y is sweet child? And can I know what speakers are in these IRs? They sounded amazing. Thank you!

Last edited:
Yes, scene 5 is called Sweet Child and uses the Sweet Child cab.

Also, this preset imports into FM9T with plenty of CPU left over to add a pitch block for virtual capo and ultra quality reverb.

I don't think the grid will import directly into FM3, but it could probably be wrangled. This preset is brilliant in its simplicity.

Hi there! Just like to chip in with a compliment - your preset sounds really good. Even better than some of the slash preset I’ve bought. And I play each note with gratitude. Can I also confirm Cab x is AFD and y is sweet child? And can I know what speakers are in these IRs? They sounded amazing. Thank you!

I had the same question, about which IR is which (X and Y).

Cheers
Lee
I could have named these better but yes cab X is "AFD" and cab Y is "Sweet Child". I believe they were tonematches rather than actual cab IRs. AFD was simply a bridge pickup tonematch and Sweet Child was a neck pickup tonematch.

Yes, scene 5 is called Sweet Child and uses the Sweet Child cab.

Also, this preset imports into FM9T with plenty of CPU left over to add a pitch block for virtual capo and ultra quality reverb.

I don't think the grid will import directly into FM3, but it could probably be wrangled. This preset is brilliant in its simplicity.
Thank you! Yes it should be able to translate well to the FM3 considering I originally created it for the AX8.

Back
Top Bottom