SLA2 getting way too hot?

Yeah, after getting the second one, I just ordered my Fryette 2/50/2. Not going to deal with that build quality again. Returned my SLA2. On a better note, I picked up my Ultra yesterday afternoon and it's amazing. I'll make a thread with the full rig when I get my Fryette :D

Sorry your unit didn't work out - returning gear sucks. I do believe, though, that the bad batch is more of an exception than the rule. For the record, I'll stand by the build quality of my SLA2 any day. Even after 500+ hours of high volume band practice/live shows, and having been dropped hard enough (while outside of the rack case) to bent the rack ears and chip the hardwood floor, it still works perfectly, and w/o even a whisper of noise.

Mike

mikeyen said:
Sorry your unit didn't work out - returning gear sucks. I do believe, though, that the bad batch is more of an exception than the rule. For the record, I'll stand by the build quality of my SLA2 any day. Even after 500+ hours of high volume band practice/live shows, and having been dropped hard enough (while outside of the rack case) to bent the rack ears and chip the hardwood floor, it still works perfectly, and w/o even a whisper of noise.

Mike
Yeah Mike, I mean I've been told it's an excellent power amp by lots of people, and I'n sure its not the build quality as much as just the bad batch, but I don't want to risk getting another bad one and I need a power amp soon enough that I can't take the time to send it out to ART. But I was very interested in the 2/50/2 anyway, so no big deal.

Well so far so good, got mine Friday used it all day yesterday, left in on all day (about 14 hours). Got the opportunity to push it hard for about an hour when everyone left the house, no problems.

6L6C said:
Well so far so good, got mine Friday used it all day yesterday, left in on all day (about 14 hours). Got the opportunity to push it hard for about an hour when everyone left the house, no problems.

How were you driving it, stereo or bridged ? and did you get an SLA or SLA-2.

Sixstring said:
Right now stereo, and its the SLA-2.
I like it, when compared to my current Carvin DCM200L there was barely a difference. The Carvin is rated in stereo 60 watts a channel) Low to moderate volumes they where pretty much identical but beyond that SLA-2 was the winner, the extra headroom comes in handy to hold the sound together. I still think the Carvin is a great amp, just a little more under the hood would be helpful. The Carvin started to loose it for me (at the higher volumes) with low end stuff, (palm mute: chug chug chug) (selecting cabs like the recto's) you know stuff like that.

6L6C said:
Sixstring said:
Right now stereo, and its the SLA-2.
I like it, when compared to my current Carvin DCM200L there was barely a difference. The Carvin is rated in stereo 60 watts a channel) Low to moderate volumes they where pretty much identical but beyond that SLA-2 was the winner, the extra headroom comes in handy to hold the sound together. I still think the Carvin is a great amp, just a little more under the hood would be helpful. The Carvin started to loose it for me (at the higher volumes) with low end stuff, (palm mute: chug chug chug) (selecting cabs like the recto's) you know stuff like that.

I found the same thing when I first started to look at single space amps only the carvin I tested was the DCM 150, just not enough HP to drive the 2 412 cabs I was pushing at the time enter the SLA-2. I have sense got rid of the 412 beasties and reduced my cabs to the ones in my sig. The SLA-2 worked fine in both the 412 situation and what I'm using it for now. The cabs sims in the Axe pretty much replaced my back line cab needs.

Sixstring said:
I found the same thing when I first started to look at single space amps only the carvin I tested was the DCM 150, just not enough HP to drive the 2 412 cabs I was pushing at the time enter the SLA-2. I have sense got rid of the 412 beasties and reduced my cabs to the ones in my sig. The SLA-2 worked fine in both the 412 situation and what I'm using it for now. The cabs sims in the Axe pretty much replaced my back line cab needs.

Looks like we have walked a similar road. ;)

I have only had a it a few days but really liking it, have not driven a real cabinet yet. But glad to hear you have, and like it.
Kind of curios how (with a real cab) it will compare with my MB50. I'm really thinking wont be a big difference at all.
When I compared the MB50 with the DCM200L there was a bit of a difference, both did sound good though. But the MB50 was just fuller sounding and nicer in the low-end.
When I went with the FRFR cabs the gap between the two closed allot.

However you know how it is, always looking, reading forums, YouTube videos.

Back
Top Bottom