SLA2 getting way too hot?

exoplanet

Has anyone else had an issue with the SLA2 getting to extreme temperatures?

I was just playing and all of the sudden my sound cut out. I went to check where the issue was and found that it was in the SLA2 as sound returned when I skipped over it.
I went to check it out and promptly found that I couldn't keep my hand on it for more than a few seconds as it was THAT hot.

I'm entirely sure this isn't normal. My entire rack including the SLA2 is BRAND new, as in purchased today as I just got word that my AxeFX Ultra shipped! :D
Someone please enlighten me as to if this is a common issue or not, as someone did tell me before that it gets pretty hot, but I didn't think they meant like that...

Thanks,
Chris

I have two of them and yes they do get hot. I ended up leaving an empty space in the rack above the amp and that helped alot. Also if I know I'm going to be pushing it hard I just point a fan at the back of the rack.

exoplanet said:
Has anyone else had an issue with the SLA2 getting to extreme temperatures?

I was just playing and all of the sudden my sound cut out. I went to check where the issue was and found that it was in the SLA2 as sound returned when I skipped over it.
I went to check it out and promptly found that I couldn't keep my hand on it for more than a few seconds as it was THAT hot.

I'm entirely sure this isn't normal. My entire rack including the SLA2 is BRAND new, as in purchased today as I just got word that my AxeFX Ultra shipped! :D
Someone please enlighten me as to if this is a common issue or not, as someone did tell me before that it gets pretty hot, but I didn't think they meant like that...

Thanks,
Chris

Need a little more info as to how your running it.

I'm running it in bridged mono to a 16 ohm Orange 4x12. Its also not as loud as I expected, I can turn it up almost full and its still a manageable volume that I don't need earplugs for.

I believe that those amps are built for an 8 ohm load when bridged.

My SLA1 never gets hot at all. I run it bridged into an 8 ohm EVM-12L.

It won't hurt running SS amps into higher loads, bridged or not as it is less stressful on the amp. That is kind of crummy if it is getting that hot running into 8 ohms, let alone 16 ohms.

exoplanet said:
I'm running it in bridged mono to a 16 ohm Orange 4x12. Its also not as loud as I expected, I can turn it up almost full and its still a manageable volume that I don't need earplugs for.

If you're running it bridged at full tilt and the volume's only "manageable," something's not right. Make sure your connections are correct - in bridged mono, the banana plugs should be connected horizontally across the top two red connectors, not vertically to channel 1.

As far as heat - it does run hot, but I've never had issues with it cutting out. Mine's at the bottom of a 4U rack, with no extra spaces inbetween.

Mike

Mike, it's connected properly, but with bare wire not banana plugs, as I didn't have any available. It's running at the bottom of a 4U also, but with a 2U space in between it and the power conditioner, where my Ultra will be so it certainly shouldn't be getting that hot. I'll be taking it back for replacement then, thanks for the heads up everyone.

I recently bought mine new (about 2 months ago) from proaduiostar.com, and after 1 days use it was getting so hot it made my Ultra hot as well. I sent it back to proaudiostar, and they told me Art had a problem with a complete batch of these, so my replacement came directly from Art. Worked out great, but with all the shipping back and forth, missed out on about 4 weeks of use. Definitely return it, it's a known issue with Art.

http://www.fractalaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=19234

Don

Just my luck, same issue.
It's hot enough that I really can't even handle it, like it's burning hot to the touch. Can keep my hand on it for less than 2 seconds.
And it's still not running at anywhere near as loud as it should be.
Is there any way I'm doing something wrong? I'd hate to think I got another broken one but it seems that way.
I have the output wired properly so that's ruled out, for the volume issue, and doesn't effect the heat...
My power distributor works excellently.
It is really hot enough to cook an egg on, I'm thinking of going to a Fryette 2/50/2 or 2/90/2, but I'd really like to get this SLA2 working.
I shouldn't be getting two defective units in a row.

If your replacement came from a dealer/distributor, then it's very likely you got another defective unit since Art stated that they had a defective batch. If your replacement came directly from Art, it may be something else, although i kept thinking the same thing, and went through everything I could think of. There really aren't that many ways to make a SS poweramp get that insanely hot. Maybe get your money back and see if you can buy it from another dealer, or check the 'For Sale' section here, usually SLA's show up there, and they've at least been tested.

Yeah, it came from the same dealer. I guess I should hit up ART for the replacement or something.
Still kind of wanting a 2/50/2 now that I considered it, so we'll see what happens. Regardless, AxeFX Ultra is expected to arrive today! So I guess I'm jamming through monitors for now.

I had this problem when running my SLA-2 with too small a load. The back says 8ohm bridged, but the manual says 4ohm. For the record, 8ohm is the ideal. 4ohm will work without causing damage, but it will go into protect mode after about 30mins. That's directly from ART. It really is a pissy little fan. I've been through 4 units.

VHDon said:
I recently bought mine new (about 2 months ago) from proaduiostar.com,
Oh great! Should be getting mine from the same place tommorow. Maybe they have gone throught the bad batch by now.

onemoreguitar said:
I've been through 4 units.
This is not helping my confidence.

After reading this thread I cant be let down. I'm expecting a problem right from the get go. :D

You guys that have had the problem:

Is it all due to internal fans not working? Or are there other factors involved also?

thanks John

exoplanet said:
Just my luck, same issue.
It's hot enough that I really can't even handle it, like it's burning hot to the touch. Can keep my hand on it for less than 2 seconds.
And it's still not running at anywhere near as loud as it should be.
Is there any way I'm doing something wrong? I'd hate to think I got another broken one but it seems that way.
I have the output wired properly so that's ruled out, for the volume issue, and doesn't effect the heat...
My power distributor works excellently.
It is really hot enough to cook an egg on, I'm thinking of going to a Fryette 2/50/2 or 2/90/2, but I'd really like to get this SLA2 working.
I shouldn't be getting two defective units in a row.

You have another bad amp... At full volume bridged you should be going deaf. I can't be in the same room when I do that even with a 16 ohm load. The amp will get really warm after a wile of playing at that volume but not to the point to where you can't touch it. Contact ART and let them know you have received a second bad amp from the dealer and see if they can send you one directly.

Back
Top Bottom