SKB 8U rolling rack case VS floating rack flight case

Sorenspete

Inspired
So I have this:
1705614773637.png

But I think something like this would be a lot more durable and protective:
1705614834114.png

I'm not a gigging or even touring musician, but I plan to be in the future and find the second option much more appealing even for home use, namely because of the casters. I'm also thinking of going from 8U to 10-12U purely because I'll be purchasing more rack gear like preamps etc.

Do you guys think it's a good move to sell the 8U SKB and upgrade to the flight case? I think the SKB case is pretty durable, but the wheels it has don't make it very maneuverable except when you treat it like luggage (the mechanism for which isn't that well designed).

So I have this:
View attachment 133494

But I think something like this would be a lot more durable and protective:
View attachment 133495

I'm not a gigging or even touring musician, but I plan to be in the future and find the second option much more appealing even for home use, namely because of the casters. I'm also thinking of going from 8U to 10-12U purely because I'll be purchasing more rack gear like preamps etc.

Do you guys think it's a good move to sell the 8U SKB and upgrade to the flight case? I think the SKB case is pretty durable, but the wheels it has don't make it very maneuverable except when you treat it like luggage (the mechanism for which isn't that well designed).
I have an Odyssey shock mount 8 space rolling rack for my III when I need a power amp. (Fryette LX II) My only complaint about it is that it is massively HEAVY. The dimensions of a shock mount case are wider than a normal rack case, so its almost impossible to lift by yourself. It is super nice and rolls well, but to always need help to move it sucks....So much so that I also got a Gator Rack for when I don't need a power amp, so I can move it by myself. Lol.

Last edited:
I have an Odyssey shock mount 8 space rolling rack for my III when I need a power amp. (Fryette LX II) My only complaint about it is that it is massively HEAVY. The dimensions of a shock mount case are wider than a normal rack case, so its almost impossible to lift by yourself. It is super nice and rolls well, but always need help to move it sucks....So much so that I also got a Gator Rack for when I don't need a power amp, so I can move it by myself. Lol.
My current living situation is a house with concrete stairs up to it. I won't be switching to a flight case since that living situation won't permit it, but ironically the studio apartments I'm looking at mostly have elevator access so moving the rack in and out of an apartment would be a lot easier. The obvious drawback being not being able to fully utilise a giant rack rig with 4x12's in a studio apartment but I know the bed I'm making and I'm going to lay in it.

I have an Odyssey shock mount 8 space rolling rack for my III when I need a power amp. (Fryette LX II) My only complaint about it is that it is massively HEAVY. The dimensions of a shock mount case are wider than a normal rack case, so its almost impossible to lift by yourself. It is super nice and rolls well, but always need help to move it sucks....So much so that I also got a Gator Rack for when I don't need a power amp, so I can move it by myself. Lol.

This is 100% true. I had shock cases for my gear when I was touring regularly. For any situation where you will be shipping gear in trucks / planes on a regular basis, they are the way to go. For everything else, weight and manageability are more important - especially when you will be moving your own gear. My 8-space shock rack weighed over 70 pounds when empty! Add just a few bits of rack gear and you're easily over 100 pounds, which is housed in a rack that is too large and heavy to safely manage by yourself. If you are going to be handling / transporting your own gear, skip the heavy rack and stay with the one you already have. If you have a crew that will be responsible for trucking your gear around, go with the shock case.

Back
Top Bottom