SiriusXM

With Spotify integration in the Tesla UI, why do you prefer SiriusXM? Sound quality alone Spotify has it beat, never mind programming choices.
As best I can tell I need a Spotify premium account. I have a basic (free?) account I don't really use and it won't let me sign in on the car. Maybe I just haven't figured it out. The pickup day was less than expected customer service....

I've been using the options on the car now mostly, not Sirius, and have been pretty happy. I transferred the Sirius over to my ladys car for now. She's a big Shannon Guns fan.....

Last edited:
With Spotify integration in the Tesla UI, why do you prefer SiriusXM? Sound quality alone Spotify has it beat, never mind programming choices.
We've got a Tesla we bought back in 2012 and I still wish we had spec'd it with satellite radio. We often run into places where cell signal is non-existent, even after we ponied up to upgrade to the newer cellular hardware in the car. It makes streaming not always tolerable. It's my spouse's car though and primarily a commuter car so he's happy with it.

I'm a huge Sirius fan though and remember buying a lifetime sub for one of my cars back when they still had that option (2005ish?). IMHO, it was totally worth it. Sadly, the sub went with the car when I sold it. Now, I just reup the Sirius sub every three years on my Jeep. Broadcast radio is intolerable for music these days so I like having the option for actual human curated playlists with options for new music exposure. The only time I've ever had reception issues was driving through Yosemite in heavily wooded areas. Plus, my other half likes having the comedy stations to listen to when we do long trips in the Jeep. Again, cellular through the central valley in CA is spotty so streaming services kinda suck on the road trips we take. And to add a datapoint to your age and liking Sirius theory, I'm 46 ;).

I like it, I just wish they'd display artist/title when played through an Amazon Echo (aka 'Alexa with a display') like every other streaming audio service.

I was much happier after I dumped Sirius/XM for Spotify. I was paying a lot of money to Sirius just to listen to three or four channels. Most of the channels I had no use for at all. Also, the few channels I listened to had a lot of heavy rotation. Audio quality was pretty low.

With Spotify I'm paying $10/mo for a vastly larger music selection at a much higher bit rate.

I was much happier after I dumped Sirius/XM for Spotify. I was paying a lot of money to Sirius just to listen to three or four channels. Most of the channels I had no use for at all. Also, the few channels I listened to had a lot of heavy rotation. Audio quality was pretty low.

With Spotify I'm paying $10/mo for a vastly larger music selection at a much higher bit rate.
I hear you. But you're paying the artists massively less.

So what streaming music services do folks recommend for taking care of artists besides Sirius? Google Music just shut down, and it wasn't super great.

I bought the XM lifetime membership back in 2007 for $250 which paid for itself many times over with the streaming service and app. That was before the merger. My SiriusXM device still works. I have it hoked up to my stereo.

Obviously you can't get this anymore and I'll bet they wish they could revoke it. I use it occasionally when I want a kind of curated experience, like a dose of Jimmy Buffet or No Shoes Radio. In the car I stream their app.

Mostly though, with 4 & 5G and the streaming services that are out there, (Spotify, Apple Music and so on) SiriusXM is dead/obsolete. When Elon's Starlink is fully online literally (to use the word correctly) everything will be obsolete, to include cellular. Satellite radio's days are numbered. I think the sats will run until they die,then it will be all streaming until it gets bought and dismantled.

Auto manufacturers and rental car companies are the family members refusing to pull the plug on the ventilator and let the patient die peacefully.

I drive in cell-free (and radio-free) areas enough that streaming content isn't workable. I have Sirius/XM in my 4Runner, but very seldom listen to music programming. I get tired of hearing the same songs over and over again. Instead, I bounce around between 5 or 6 comedy channels. I'd rather listen to stand-up comedy than hear repetitive "hit" music.

I drive in cell-free (and radio-free) areas enough that streaming content isn't workable. I have Sirius/XM in my 4Runner, but very seldom listen to music programming. I get tired of hearing the same songs over and over again. Instead, I bounce around between 5 or 6 comedy channels. I'd rather listen to stand-up comedy than hear repetitive "hit" music.
I go on extensive comedy jags as well. The current MO is to DL all of a particular comics' catalog from Apple Music and binge it that way, usually forgetting that I have the SiriusXM at all.

Currently working through Tom Papa and Joe Rogan.

Back
Top Bottom