Sire guitars

I have a sire S7 HSS and love it. The neck is amazing, decent sounding pickups for stock ones (usually change mine) and the hardware is decent. No issues with the woods or tone. My guitar tech rates it too, when he did a setup on it. It’s also addictive to plat :cool:

Thinking of getting a T7 now!

Thanks for the update and that's great to hear. One common point of praise in almost every review I've seen on them is that the necks are awesome. They seem like good bang for the buck.

I have a sire S7 HSS and love it. The neck is amazing, decent sounding pickups for stock ones (usually change mine) and the hardware is decent. No issues with the woods or tone. My guitar tech rates it too, when he did a setup on it. It’s also addictive to plat :cool:

Thinking of getting a T7 now!
I've never cared much for the Tele's. Partly b/c they are perceived as mostly being for country twang and partly I've just never liked the looks of Fenders in general. I've gotta say though that the T7s look really nice and I am tempted to give one a try. Something like this, which I believe has coil splits on the HBs so that would open up the tonal options. I like the bevel also.

1653084331252.png

No actual Tele sounds in it though . To get traditional tele tone you need the key features of a vintage Tele. I'm not picking on Sire here even a Suhr with this speck would have the same problem.
Yeah, I get that. I've never really been a fan of the traditional Tele twang, but I do think there might be some more interesting tones to be found or you could at least get in the neighborhood of a traditional tone (if needed) with the coil split. Just thought it might be worth checking out.

Fundamentally these are cheap guitars with bling ( thick plastic finish ) to hide the fact that there actually have more in common with instruments costing less . Core woods and components are bottom of the range variants made to ape similar looking ones on actual instruments. They may look like a bargain but they are really a very superficial commodity product. There have been many brands like this over the years non have longevity or any SH value in the long run however flavour of the month they may be. Try selling one of these back to Guitar Centre in five years and you will be lucky to get a pack of strings for one. Avoid like the plague .
Is your attitude the same with the Bass guitars? Because if so, I’ve seen your knowledge with the 5150 build I’ve been following and know you’re not a hack, but my brother finally got his 9 month wait M5 5 string MM Trans Blue a month ago and it’s a stellar instrument. Now he ordered when it was only $699 USD (which makes it a HUGE bargain) they have gone up in price considerably. The Swamp Ash body is as good as any Swamp Ash on any Fender. The Maple neck is solid and cut perfectly. I was worried what the “Ebony” board would be, but it seems like a solid piece of non stained Ebony or close variant that is on most guitars twice the price. Honestly the days of getting real old growth (mahogany, rosewood, Ebony) Brazilian, Honduran, Indian exotic tone woods on any brand Asian (Ibanez,etc.) without paying multiple thousand dollars are long gone. The pups are excellent and the electronics are far superior than anything in the price range. The nut, bridge, fret work is all great. Tuners are not bad. They’re mini’s which may become an issue, but seem solid now. It plays wonderfully.

I know there were some issues with the first generations, but the company (owner) seems dedicated to improving. Of all the cheapy Indonesian instruments being put out, I would not put Sire among them. Are they a $8000 Spector, Fodera, PRS…no, but they’re not a commodity.

Update:
The reality is my brother’s guitar is now selling for $250 more than just 9 months ago. So for right now I bet Guitar Center would probably give him his full price plus many pack of strings.😉 Although GC is a bad example. I would never take a used instrument to them and expect to not be ripped off.

Last edited:
One thing to consider in the price/quality discussion is the effect the conspired Global Reset by the bastards of the world is having on everything in life. Inflation is skyrocketing faster than businesses and industry can keep up. Cost of materials is rising in faster extremes than the time it takes to use them to produce a product. In a personal sense, I’m having construction done on my property. The quotes, estimates and contracts signed about 6 weeks ago were based on material costs that are now much higher than at the time. MUCH HIGHER. To the point that it’s affecting the builders ability to make proper judgements. Every dollar fuel goes up effects everything up and down the line. So one’s attitude about what is a good deal or not might be outdated and shortsighted.

Is your attitude the same with the Bass guitars? Because if so, I’ve seen your knowledge with the 5150 build I’ve been following and know you’re not a hack, but my brother finally got his 9 month wait M5 5 string MM Trans Blue a month ago and it’s a stellar instrument. Now he ordered when it was only $699 USD (which makes it a HUGE bargain) they have gone up in price considerably. The Swamp Ash body is as good as any Swamp Ash on any Fender. The Maple neck is solid and cut perfectly. I was worried what the “Ebony” board would be, but it seems like a solid piece of non stained Ebony or close variant that is on most guitars twice the price. Honestly the days of getting real old growth (mahogany, rosewood, Ebony) Brazilian, Honduran, Indian exotic tone woods on any brand Asian (Ibanez,etc.) without paying multiple thousand dollars are long gone. The pups are excellent and the electronics are far superior than anything in the price range. The nut, bridge, fret work is all great. Tuners are not bad. They’re mini’s which may become an issue, but seem solid now. It plays wonderfully.

I know there were some issues with the first generations, but the company (owner) seems dedicated to improving. Of all the cheapy Indonesian instruments being put out, I would not put Sire among them. Are they a $8000 Spector, Fodera, PRS…no, but they’re not a commodity.

Update:
The reality is my brother’s guitar is now selling for $250 more than just 9 months ago. So for right now I bet Guitar Center would probably give him his full price plus many pack of strings.😉 Although GC is a bad example. I would never take a used instrument to them and expect to not be ripped off.
I find the bass guitars better, BUT a huge consideration is component failure in cheap active circuits particularly after they stop support . Often this is not long after they swap design . There will be no information and you may end up with a perfectly playable bass that the electrics have failed on and nothing is a direct fit. This can easily cost the same as the bass did to rectify. Also at this price point the electrics are the lowest quality you can get and still offer the so called up market features. Sire may seem like a free lunch but we all know there is no such thing.

I find the bass guitars better, BUT a huge consideration is component failure in cheap active circuits particularly after they stop support . Often this is not long after they swap design . There will be no information and you may end up with a perfectly playable bass that the electrics have failed on and nothing is a direct fit. This can easily cost the same as the bass did to rectify. Also at this price point the electrics are the lowest quality you can get and still offer the so called up market features. Sire may seem like a free lunch but we all know there is no such thing.
I really think you’re attitude is bit off. Seems like a weird bias. This is the case with all guitars in this price range. To get the quality you’re referring to is not possible in todays market for under $2500. What is your recommendation of a guitar for people who don’t have that money to spend? I have an EE background and took a look at the electronics and it’s not as big a deal as you’re making out. I mean this with all due respect, but maybe you’ve been woodshedding figuring out the exact position of EVH’s stripes and not seeing where we are price and market wise.😉 Maybe the fact that I can fix at a component level any electronic problem skews slightly my view, but not by that much. Heck, You could tear out all the active stuff and wire it passive and still have a hell of an instrument. I guess why is your bias worse than any of the Indonesian guitars like Schecter, etc..

I have 3 core PRS’s from various points last 22 years. One with a solid Rosewood neck and Gabon Ebony fretboard. So I do know the difference.

When you build to a price there are two distinct ways to go;
1. Les Paul Junior. This is you take off everything that is cosmetic but keep the things that make it work as a musical instrument. Good wood, good pickups ( just one to save money) Tuners are functional but basic and so is the hardware .
And
2. Epiphone Les Paul Custom. You try to build something that looks like the real thing. You keep all the visual features but you cut costs on everything you can't see or actively hide it. Typically paint finish or veneer top often with binding to hide how thin . All the hardware has to be OEM cheapest copy to look like a premium product but cheap materials . Pickups and switching must be functionally the same as the real one but cheapest internal parts to archive this. On fender styles often a pearl effect pick guard and often gold hardware.
You can guess where Sire fits.

When you build to a price there are two distinct ways to go;
1. Les Paul Junior. This is you take off everything that is cosmetic but keep the things that make it work as a musical instrument. Good wood, good pickups ( just one to save money) Tuners are functional but basic and so is the hardware .
And
2. Epiphone Les Paul Custom. You try to build something that looks like the real thing. You keep all the visual features but you cut costs on everything you can't see or actively hide it. Typically paint finish or veneer top often with binding to hide how thin . All the hardware has to be OEM cheapest copy to look like a premium product but cheap materials . Pickups and switching must be functionally the same as the real one but cheapest internal parts to archive this. On fender styles often a pearl effect pick guard and often gold hardware.
You can guess where Sire fits.
I hate to be a prick, but you’re just plain wrong about Sire. Well Bass guitars. I have no experience with the guitars, but I can’t see it being different. You do know they have different price ranges and as I said their first very, very inexpensive models had some quality issues.

I really think you’re attitude is bit off. Seems like a weird bias. This is the case with all guitars in this price range. To get the quality you’re referring to is not possible in todays market for under $2500. What is your recommendation of a guitar for people who don’t have that money to spend? I have an EE background and took a look at the electronics and it’s not as big a deal as you’re making out. I mean this with all due respect, but maybe you’ve been woodshedding figuring out the exact position of EVH’s stripes and not seeing where we are price and market wise.😉 Maybe the fact that I can fix at a component level any electronic problem skews slightly my view, but not by that much. Heck, You could tear out all the active stuff and wire it passive and still have a hell of an instrument. I guess why is your bias worse than any of the Indonesian guitars like Schecter, etc..

I have 3 core PRS’s from various points last 22 years. One with a solid Rosewood neck and Gabon Ebony fretboard. So I do know the difference.
I have been a repair tech for over thirty. I have played and worked on practically everything available over the time from famous, vintage and high end . I would like to see you fix a pcb that is covered in epoxy and has ten black wires coming out.

Cheap doesn't have to be crap but it does need to be simple or you are wasting the budget on shiny things.

I have been a repair tech for over thirty. I have played and worked on practically everything available over the time from famous, vintage and high end . I would like to see you fix a pcb that is covered in epoxy and has ten black wires coming out.
Covered in epoxy?? But I’ve done it. Depends on the mess. I fix all my and other peoples guitars. Not an official tech, but I’m 57 and been around the block.

Cheap doesn't have to be crap but it does need to be simple or you are wasting the budget on shiny things.
See, I don’t get your whole “bling” thing. I don’t see them as bling. The guitars that are a bit more blingy are also more expensive.

Covered in epoxy?? But I’ve done it. Depends on the mess. I fix all my and other peoples guitars. Not an official tech, but I’m 57 and been around the block.
In a plastic box filled with epoxy and ten black wires not numbered. Add non standard pickup sizes and tell me how that can be cost effectively repaired down the line? This is not Sire BTW but I've seen it many times.

In a plastic box filled with epoxy and ten black wires not numbered. Add non standard pickup sizes and tell me how that can be cost effectively repaired down the line? This is not Sire BTW but I've seen it many times.
Well now your starting to veer off. Let’s just agree to disagree. So do you hate all Asian guitars? Because I can handle that way easier than the bias towards Sire.

I should say sub $2500 Asian guitars.

See, I don’t get your whole “bling” thing. I don’t see them as bling. The guitars that are a bit more blingy are also more expensive.
A £1k guitar leaves the factory at about £200 cost add transport and multiple layers of margin and you start to see how anything remotely fancy eats in to the core instrument budget.

Back
Top Bottom