Singers are back! (2012 Grammys)

Have to agree! I'll no doubt get flamed for this but it was much better than the RAP dominated shows lately. And what a great way to end it with the guys rocking with Paul.

On a sad note, how on earth did I miss Clarence's passing? I must be getting soft in my old age. I actually teared up when i saw that. I have seen so many great shows by the big man. RIP CC.

Usual disclaimers: IMHO, YMMV, no harm intended, etc

A rapper as MC worked pretty good.

They trotted out enough legendary artists it was more like the Grampys than the Grammys, and it was shocking to see how, even at their age, the talent of the legends still eclipses much of what has been "sold" for the last 20 years. Truly amazing, and thank god they brought them out -- we would've gone all night without a substantial guitar solo!

Bruno mars did a great nod to the past, but voice was buried in the mix.
I'm surprised how much (country excepted) the woman have moved to completely dominate the solo artist category.

Jennifer Hudsen knocked it out of the park, and Adele sounded nervous and tight on a few notes but did great for first post-surgery performance.

I sing a Lady Gaga song, and she's done much for the sexually confused. But I gotta admit I felt a deep sense of satisfaction and revenge as she sat there, looking like a victim of a trawler net accident and getting passed over again and again despite the incredible media push she did for "born this way".

The stunt-girl, pretend-vocalist, over-cooked, madonna/brittney-on-crack solo female pop star category was completely, definitively, and absolutely crushed by the reality that the emotion in voice and song are what really matter.

To that point, kudos to Foo Fighters for throwing down the gauntlet!!!
Learn to sing, learn to play an instrument, and stop looking to technology for emotion and expression!
Their message -- only by practicing your craft will get what is in your heart and head out to your fellow human beings, and that's what they care about -- was long overdue!!

I sing a Lady Gaga song, and she's done much for the sexually confused.
laughing.gif

she sat there, looking like a victim of a trawler net accident and getting passed over again and again
laughing.gif
laughing.gif

Oh and yes, Grohl would be spot on with that
thumbsup.gif
However, there is most definitely a strong case for technology (well, that's the sole reason why we're all on here!) BUT, it has to be used as a tool, not an excuse
yessmiley.gif

The grammys stopped being relevant once our music choices were no longer limited to what the major record companies could force down our throats.

The Grammys became irrelevant WHEN the labels were able to force their products down our throats.
The major Grammys have always gone to the label that was willing to spend the most to get their "artist" to win.

Good point! I think what I was trying to say is that our music choices are no longer limited by the major label brands and haven't been for a long time. Original artists that aren't even on the grammy radar are routinely selling out shows.

Last edited:
Hats off to Dave

That was inspiring, and gutsy, for a musician to say. I don't think he was downing the technology, which would be kind of foolish on a show swimming in production tech, but was saying to the industry and his peer group "make your own music, have passion for it, show some dedication to your craft."

Of course, it's easy to point fingers at the industry. And a lot of the criticisms have merit. As the old saying goes, you can lead a horse to water... We don't have to drink the kool-aid is all I'm saying. Get on I-Tunes or Sound Cloud (or wherever) and support the people whose music turns you on.

Makes me want to practice! 8)

Too bad the freakin' media titans pulled the video already -- the link doesn't work anymore (like they really had a copyright on whatever Dave Grohl said...)

Wish I could have seen what he said. Every interview I've ever read of his has been thoughtful and smart...

TT

Back
Top Bottom