Since "Quantum" have you adjusted your PEQ live and Lead boost?

JT2

Inspired
There have been a number of great threads over the years about adding EQ blocks to adjust for live volume and as a boost for leads. Scott Peterson, Yek, Tyler, Chris, and many others have chimed in on this as well as making low and high cuts in the cab block. Many of us use these techniques daily. 'Quantum' is a significant change. Have you adjusted/removed/ added EQ blocks? Thanks guys.

I still use a null FIL block for a volume boost. I run it post CAB. Have done that for a very long time now.

I use the AMP block graphic EQ for tweaking tone now. I've dropped the use of GEQ and PEQ blocks completely from my patches for tone shaping and boosting.

I do use DRV blocks for boosting and saturating AMP models for levels of gain and soloing.

I still use a null FIL block for a volume boost. I run it post CAB. Have done that for a very long time now.

I use the AMP block graphic EQ for tweaking tone now. I've dropped the use of GEQ and PEQ blocks completely from my patches for tone shaping and boosting.

I do use DRV blocks for boosting and saturating AMP models for levels of gain and soloing.

How have you compensated for the FM curve at live settings?

How have you compensated for the FM curve at live settings?
I tune all my patches at gig volume with the band. I have not encountered, in my 7+ years now running direct/FRFR with Fractal gear, any better way to do it.

On very rare occasions, when the room we're in is particularly awful, I'll apply a touch of global EQ to my output. But that's rare. Like count-on-one-hand number of occurrences rare.

Reactions: JT2

Hey Ian,

which EQ do you use in the amp block? 5 band, 7? 8? thanks

im currently using a PEQ at the end for the FM but if i could get away from it and just use the amps geq, would be nice.

I operate pretty much the same way too now.

I always have Null Filter in all my patches as a volume boost; that way I can get a volume boost irrelevant of what particular Scene I'm on. If I want specific effects turned on/off for my lead patch, then I simply save that as a Scene with the Null Filter on.

I also dropped the GEQ and PEQ for tone shaping a few FWs ago. I really like the EQ found in the amp block. Generally I'm running this in the "post" position.

I have never used eq's and still use null filter for boost. Quantum does nothing for needing some "extra" level when doing a lead

I used to use a Filter block to boost the signal to the Amp block and a PEQ block after. Now I use the Input Trim control to boost the level going into the Amp block and the Amp block's GEQ tab to cover all the post EQ stuff.

I have some very good sounding patches built with just an Amp and a Cab block on the grid and that's it. Just those two blocks have all the level and EQ options I can put to use and then some. It's great.

I also prefer the 5 band passive GEQ. It's not a boost for me as much as it is a "louder". It doesn't change my amp gain just adds volume and mids.

I bump up the center band and adjust the level to taste. I use it on all my presets. Clean -> Lead.

I also like the FAS Boost drive model in front of amps. And the SDD drive model in front of the AC30TB.

I had temporarily left the AxeFx world right after firmware 18 hit and it was just before then that I realized I really wasn't using the PEQ to do the Hi pass and Lo pass stuff that I had always needed before.

Upon returning to the AxeFx world a month ago and entering the Quantum experience I'm finding that freedom from needing to filter the frequencies that 'real speakers' would was even more evident.
And the newest drive block upgrades are so sweet that I gravitate to them for any 'lead boosting' whether I use them to increase gain into the path or more for just volume with their Drive parameter set low and to make use of some of that blocks EQ characteristic to make a melody line cut through.

I'm also loving the Boost switch on most amps as a lead boost when some additional gain is needed, for when I want to leave the amps timbre unmolested but get 'more' of it.

I only go to an EQ block for actual EQ work of changing the timbre of the amp.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom