Bug? Simultaneous FASLINK & MIDI connections for MFC-Edit/Fractal Bot transfer

DTownSMR

Inspired
I'm a new MFC owner and MFC-Edit user. I'm connecting the MFC to my Axe-Fx II via FASLINK (Axe-Fx -> XA-1 -> MFC FASLINK) and all works perfectly for powering the MFC & controlling the Axe. To use MFC-Edit I also connected the MFC, via MIDI IN/OUT, to a midiman midisport 2x2 hooked up to MFC-Edit on a mac. With this configuration MIDI dumping & loading doesn't work at all. Either the editor or the bot. I've worked a bit with Gary regarding the editor and have tried literally every manual delay value possible to no avail. I've also tried connecting MFC-Edit to the MFC via the Axe-Fx and while I was slightly more successful, I'd say it virtually doesn't work either because it's so sporadic it makes you want to throw something out a window.

Just for yucks today I tried pulling out the dedicated power supply and lo and behold the USB/MIDI interface works perfectly. No issues whatsoever. NONE! So the good news is I can use the editor that I paid for and have a better UI than riverdancing on the MFC directly. But...

...I'm listing this as a bug due to the inherent danger of connecting both FASLINK & the dedicated power supply. Given what hoops need to be jumped thru to get this to work, it's an accident just waiting to happen. Ideally, MIDI tunneled thru the Axe-Fx could be considered to be the cleanest solution but I'd take being able to connect the MIDI IN/OUT while the MFC is being powered by the FASLINK connection. I just hate the idea of routinely using both power source. There's the danger of mistakenly using both power source but also you have the added wear of additional power cycling of the MFC. IME, that is generally when electronic components fails.

(as an aside: I'm by NO MEANS an electrical engineer...don't even know enough to be dangerous really. However, the phantom power mod I did for my old FCB1010 was simple, cheap and allows simultaneous connection of both the stock power supply and phantom power via MIDI cables. Just wondering why FAS didn't implement something that simple to protect such expensive gear from what has to be a pretty easy to do "user error"?!?)

just a friendly comment about the schematic you point out to people above. I was told it was VERY dangerous and you should be careful when recommending it to others. You should not recommend that design to anyone. It is highly unbalanced and can be a dangerous solution depending on the parts you choose. It turns out the required circuit is a bit more complicated if done properly and safely.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom