Simulating Impedance Mismatching

Jemwiz00

Which parameters could I adjust to simulate the impedance mismatch I often use on my “real life” amp ?(Mesa Boogie Mark2C+) Often I output from the 4ohm tap to an 8 ohm cab. I’m not sure what this particular combination does to be honest. It just sounds subjectively “better” than when I output from the 8ohm tap. I’ve come very close to nailing the entire vibe of my real analogue gear. A little more to go and I can leave that gear at home and just take the AX8! Thanks in advance.

Which parameters could I adjust to simulate the impedance mismatch I often use on my “real life” amp ?(Mesa Boogie Mark2C+) Often I output from the 4ohm tap to an 8 ohm cab. I’m not sure what this particular combination does to be honest. It just sounds subjectively “better” than when I output from the 8ohm tap. I’ve come very close to nailing the entire vibe of my real analogue gear. A little more to go and I can leave that gear at home and just take the AX8! Thanks in advance.
I think you can use Transformer Match for that, but I am not certain.

If you search the forums for "transformer match" there are a couple threads over the years from Cliff.

Read this carefully:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/the-secret-weapon-transformer-match.98527/

You can do this mismatch in the axe with 2 great benefits:
1. You can do fine tweakings
2. You don't risk your physical gear
The tech notes by @FractalAudio could be considered required reading as a supplement to the manual. Great information and explanations of parameters and suggested settings. Most of it is over my head but there's enough 'Tech Notes for Dummies' in them that it's fairly simple to follow the principles being discussed and use them in a practical manner.

I'm doubling (1.8) the transformer match on my go-to amp JTM45 (with Plexi 100 tone-stack). A–B to the stock settings I always prefer the modded one. That's instant Hendrix for me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom