Simulating double tracked guitars

Does anybody know if there is an update available for the mimic? My sounds terrible and glitches very obviously and. Not in a good way...

Does anybody know if there is an update available for the mimic? My sounds terrible and glitches very obviously and. Not in a good way...

There was an update about a year ago; haven't checked back since. It was easy to do - only took about 30 seconds. You do need to have a plug-in power supply to do it. Part of the update requires you to power it up while holding down the stomp switch. Check the TC website for the update file and instructions. I'd post it, but I'm a newby here and can't throw in a link yet...

Update: Just went to TC site. Quickest way is to use the search function for Mimiq. Scroll down past the pictures of the two versions and see the "firmware" update (1.1.00. Oct 2016) and hit the download arrow. To update the Mimiq, plug in the USB to the Mimiq and your computer. Then, while holding down the stomp switch, plug in the power supply to get it into boot-up mode (light will turn green). Release the stomp switch and click on the update file. Your Mimiq will show up as a device. Hit the "update" button. You'll get an "Upgrade Successful" notification. Done.

Also, you mention a terrible sound... If you are running preamp distortion, you should run the Mimiq in the effects loop instead of the front of the amp. Same way when using Mimiq with modelers - don't know what it is, but you get a horrible flange-ey shriek if you "front-end" it with the amp's built-in dirt. Clean settings are great through the front.

Last edited:
There was an update about a year ago; haven't checked back since. It was easy to do - only took about 30 seconds. You do need to have a plug-in power supply to do it. Part of the update requires you to power it up while holding down the stomp switch. Check the TC website for the update file and instructions. I'd post it, but I'm a newby here and can't throw in a link yet...

Also, you mention a terrible sound... If you are running preamp distortion, you should run the Mimiq in the effects loop instead of the front of the amp. Same way when using Mimiq with modelers - don't know what it is, but you get a horrible flange-ey shriek if you "front-end" it with the amp's built-in dirt. Clean settings are great through the front.

Thanks for the info glad to hear about the update maybe that's the problem. I was using the pedal in the effects loop, the glitching was very obvious when it would go through a range of random values, settle and reset. Totally unusable, maybe the update will fix it...

Hey Phil. Is this for live use or recording? Some great suggestions here for live use, but for recording, I do the old school method. i double track the guitars.

I recently got an FX8 and wanted to get the tone on Led Zeppelin's Custard Pie. After some research I figured he used at least 2 rhythm guitar tracks in the studio. Playing around: I split the signal and ran the left through a Tube Drv 3-Knob and the right through a Plus Dist, then all that ultimately through an Enhancer to make sure the phase of left and right played well.

This preset is for an FX8 II but one should be able to convert it as needed w/ FracTool. I think this only sounds right in stereo.

First scene is rhythm, second is lead. The Clyde wah is set to auto engage w/ pedal 1 so make sure that's turned off or it won't sound right.

Attachments

• CustardPie.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 6
I used to do that for years when I was playing on headphones.
The best way for my ears is to simply delay the right channel by 35ms.

Back
Top Bottom