Simplest way to bypass Out3 > In3 ?

Alex Kolund

In the studio, I use the Out 3 and In 3 blocks to connect (loop-in) external pedals. However, if I want to take the FM9 for a gig (without the pedals), I've got a problem since the presets expect that route, and without it the signal breaks. I can think of a few solutions (below) but none of them are great...
  1. Make duplicate presets with/without these blocks for each use case. (Problem: duplication, not just once but for every edit)
  2. Use patch cables to connect the physical Out 3 to In 3. (Problem: not a big problem but kinda crazy)
  3. Use the Multiplexer to switch between the two options, as shown below. (Problem: takes up so many blocks)
1699130927253.png

Do you know of a better solution?

Bypassing the In 3 block will act as a loop bypass when Out 3 & In 3 are connected like that. You could assign an External Control as In 3 bypass modifier and adjust the Ext Ctrl's Init. Value in the setup menu as needed. Or, maybe use a Control Switch as long as you remember to set its CS Per Scene value to "last" for every scene of each preset you use.

That's if you don't need to bypass the loop at times when pedals are connected. If that was the case, the multiplexer routed like your example with an Ext Ctrl or CS as row select modifier would probably be the best option.

You are correct. Bypassing the In 3 block does the trick. (Not sure how I missed that.) Thanks!

Btw, is there a way to do this globally, for all presets?

I have one of my footswitches in my default layout assigned to bypass In 3 for this very reason. It works on all presets that have an In 3 block without needing to attach a modifier to it in every preset.

I have one of my footswitches in my default layout assigned to bypass In 3 for this very reason. It works on all presets that have an In 3 block without needing to attach a modifier to it in every preset.
If the presets were saved with the block engaged, this would mean in the no-fx-loop scenario each preset would be silent when first loaded until that switch was pressed, which probably isn't desirable on a gig.

If you use the editor and copy the In 3 block from one preset with the modifier assigned, it takes about 4 seconds to select the next preset, paste, save.

You can also attach a switch to "Input 3 bypass" globally in the MIDI/Remote menu. If you do that, it will automatically work with all presets so there's no need to modify any presets.

You can also attach a switch to "Input 3 bypass" globally in the MIDI/Remote menu. If you do that, it will automatically work with all presets so there's no need to modify any presets.
This will only work (put the Input 3 block into the opposite bypass state from how it was stored, without needing to press the switch after every preset change) with a switch (or expression pedal or any potentiometer) connected to a Pedal port set to Type = Continuous.

Assigning a switch or pedal port set for latching or momentary type doesn't update the block bypass state in the same way. Also this requires a setting of Eff. Bypass Mode = Value in MIDI/Remote: General, as "Toggle" will just endlessly toggle the bypass state about 50 times a second.

Back
Top Bottom