Simple DIY improvement for the OMG (FM9 + FM3)

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
Here's a simple adjustment for the factory OMG layouts to improve accessibility and gain an extra free button.

The SCENES and EFFECTS layouts have "MORE" buttons. These switch to a 2nd page with more scenes resp. effects.

You can add this functionality as HOLD functions to the main SCENES and EFFECTS buttons.

This les you switch at all times to the 2nd page, without having to switch to the 1st page first. To return to the 1st page from the 2nd, just press the main SCENES or EFFECTS button.

Also, it frees the "MORE" buttons on both pages, so this lets you add one more function to both pages.

The OMG layouts probably don't have this built-in on purpose, because of design decisions (not including HOLD functionality makes things easier to understand at first).

This HOLD functionality is indicated in the button names by: /h. See below.

FM9.jpg

Last edited:
I look forward to getting my unit for many reasons, one of them being just getting to play with different layouts.

I used Layout Links instead so the Scenes button toggles between two layouts with Scenes and the Effects button cycles through three layouts of Effects. When you're on the Scenes Layout, it just seemed such a waste having a button that does nothing (the Scenes button) and I find it much more efficient to just toggle (or cycle pages) instead of using the hold functions. Otherwise, same principle.

I made a FM9 Style layout with this functionality for my FM3+FC6 (still waiting for FM9's to land in Australia): https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/introducing-om369-my-fm9-style-layout-with-fm3-fc6.177795/

Yek,

Thanks for this. Some months previous I had the same idea as well but didn't think to share it because it seemed relatively plain in my view.

I personally utilize Effects and Hold Reveal for stacking a variety of effects together in 2 separate layouts. Most all effects I'd ever use are there, and most of them are not being used.

IIRC, I also use Scenes and Hold for switching to layout 3 for more Scenes on the same switch. Lastly, in Perform Layout 7, I utilize a hold switch for accessing my Utilities page, which mostly consists of Control Switches, Tuner, Tap Tempo, and a dedicated switch which brings me back to Perform Layout 7, Scene 1.

Contrasted to @Johan Allard, I use Bank +1 / Bank -1 with Bank limit of 3 for toggling through 3 presets at a time, and Scenes are just kept as 4 per each of the 2 layouts since there are only 8 possible scene options.

Yeah, this is a great concept. But I take it a step or two further. For me, when I get to a preset, I spend most of my time in the EFFECTS pages because I like having things set up more like a traditional pedal board and tend to use SCENES less. And I also use my right foot much more for stomping...so I really wanted some of that upper row of 3 buttons (FM9) for effects. I also prefer NOT to use the HOLD function on my effects buttons if I can avoid it.

So I have my EFFECTS layout set up so that you get to SCENES by holding the HOLDing PRESETS. I get to EFFECTS MORE by HOLDing TapTemp and I have that all the way over to the left, because I just don't use it much. That gave me two more buttons for effects in the upper row.

As this thread illustrates, what's amazing is the incredible flexibility and ease of use we have in customizing the switching. Quickly build any number of layouts that suit your needs for various situations, save them, and then load them in seconds to rock-n-roll exactly the way you want. The design of the Fractal switching in and of itself is the work of genius, in addition to everything else we have in these boxes!!

I am on a waiting list for an FM9.
Does anyone know if a program is set up at Fractal so that an FC6 smoothly integrates with the FM9 upon installation please?
Thank you.

I am on a waiting list for an FM9.
Does anyone know if a program is set up at Fractal so that an FC6 smoothly integrates with the FM9 upon installation please?
Thank you.
There are a few layout choices available. It is pretty much plug and play, but you can customize from scratch or one if a number of different layout sets to get it to do all sorts of cool stuff....

Reactions: C-4
There are a few layout choices available. It is pretty much plug and play, but you can customize from scratch or one if a number of different layout sets to get it to do all sorts of cool stuff....
Thank you Joe!
What I am interested in doing with the FC6 is set up the FM9, when I get it, to respond as an AXE III with the FC12 to make switching simple. I'm 74 yrs old and just getting into digital, so I want to keep it as easy for my mind as possible.

Thank you Joe!
What I am interested in doing with the FC6 is set up the FM9, when I get it, to respond as an AXE III with the FC12 to make switching simple. I'm 74 yrs old and just getting into digital, so I want to keep it as easy for my mind as possible.
Likely you will find the OFM9G set of layouts to be a good starting point. The layout set has a bunch of clever stuff set up right out of the box, which you can try out and learn from to adjust them to your needs.

FM9 Edit makes it easy to move the layout switches around and customize the layouts to make them do what you need them to do....

Welcome aboard. You are in for a wild ride!

This is my set-up:
IMG_20220415_214044.jpg

Reactions: C-4
Likely you will find the OFM9G set of layouts to be a good starting point. The layout set has a bunch of clever stuff set up right out of the box, which you can try out and learn from to adjust them to your needs.

FM9 Edit makes it easy to move the layout switches around and customize the layouts to make them do what you need them to do....

Welcome aboard. You are in for a wild ride!

This is my set-up:
IMG_20220415_214044.jpg
You dropped your cookie! 🤣🤣🤣

Back
Top Bottom