Simmons DA200s - Possible FRFR-ish for bass

deathbyguitar

Power User
I bought a used Simmons DA200s drum amp yesterday for $180 after reading that it also works well for bass. So far that certainly seem to be true! I ran my Axe-FX through it using the USA Bass model the cab sim on and it was nice and punchy, but also really clear. I've got practice tomorrow and some gigs in the next week and will update you guys on how well it works live. Figured this might be a good option for cheap/broke dudes like me.

Last edited:
So I'm gonna take the silence on this post as "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" I'm sure the idea of someone using this with an Axe-FX makes you cringe.:laughing:

Anyway, I took this thing to 2 gigs and practice in the last week and so far I really like it. I originally bought it just so amplify my electronic drums but after reading that it could work well for bass I had to try it. The unit has 2 tweeters, 2 mid range speakers and a 12 inch sub and it faithfully reproduced the Mesa Bass 400 model with a 2x15 IR I downloaded from this forum. It's not the loudest thing imaginable, but I felt like I had enough power to get the job done. I thought the unit sounded okay with guitar, but obviously it's not gonna match something like a Xitone or CLR. But for as little money this thing cost me, I'm more than satisfied. They have them at Guitar Center if you're curious.

Nothing wrong with a solution like that. It's a FR (full range) speaker, much like any PA speaker.
They tune them to give a decent punch for drum monitoring, and that should also work well for bass.

Simmons found a great marketing niche with these, pushing them as electronic drum monitoring solutions.
(my opinion) is that they sell well just because they're marketed as that solution.
If drummers were PA savvy, they would likely buy a JBL PRX 15" power speaker and be happier....but that doesn't mean the Simmons aren't a solid product.

Back
Top Bottom