Silly question

alex1fly

Inspired
OK, this is a silly one but is rooted in experience. Can anything go awry with the FM3 or one's computer when using others' presets? Like recently there was a thread about bad IRs messing with the FM3, and I've certainly experienced issues with my DAWs when combining third party VSTs and other plugins. It's a hard and time-consuming lesson, to have to track down the thing you downloaded that's making your gear go crazy or act weird. I'm jazzed to start downloading y'alls presets, but am just a little leery about it.

Thoughts?

That's a very broad question. Simply, a preset cannot act as a virus (for lack of a better term). In the past high-demand presets could cause the unit to lock up and you'd have to restart. I believe that was mitigated though. I know it hasn't happened to me since the last FW update. A bad IR can stop a preset from working, but not affect the unit (at least I've never heard of such).

Hope that helps.

3 things can cause "issues" but nothing that's going to rally damage anything.

1. While the FM3 will load a preset created on the III, typically they won't work. You'll need to convert first and even then often need to adjust some stuff to get it to work as the preset will often have routing which doesn't translate correctly or consume too much CPU.

2. Any user preset with a IR from the user bank can have "issues" as the IR the user used will not be the same as whatever IR is in the same spot in your bank (or not make any sound if your IR slot is empty).

3. An IR which hasn't been properly truncated can cause some shenanigans. You typically need to restart and load a new IR into the slot to fix.

there is some other thread flying around where admin staded that due to a loaded bad IR within a preset it can happen that the fm3 freezes.

Thanks. I realize it's a loaded question, just nervous about mucking around with 3rd party additions on the nicest piece of gear I own. Good to know about preferring presets created in the FM3.

3 things can cause "issues" but nothing that's going to rally damage anything.

1. While the FM3 will load a preset created on the III, typically they won't work. You'll need to convert first and even then often need to adjust some stuff to get it to work as the preset will often have routing which doesn't translate correctly or consume too much CPU.

2. Any user preset with a IR from the user bank can have "issues" as the IR the user used will not be the same as whatever IR is in the same spot in your bank (or not make any sound if your IR slot is empty).

3. An IR which hasn't been properly truncated can cause some shenanigans. You typically need to restart and load a new IR into the slot to fix.

#1 makes sense. #2 and #3 are a bit confusing. Does this mean a preset with a non-factory IR will act goofy? What's the fix - just delete the cab block and start over?

Recently ran into a problem converting an AX3 preset to the FM3 with Fractool.
The CPU usage was not an issue, but preset had noise that I couldn't determine where it was coming from.
I couldn't use that preset, so I created my own based off the basics of said preset.

#1 makes sense. #2 and #3 are a bit confusing. Does this mean a preset with a non-factory IR will act goofy? What's the fix - just delete the cab block and start over?

#2 Fractal presets have a reference to an IR location and are bundled with the IR. So if you load a preset which has the IR pointed at U.0001 and you do not have an IR loaded into that location, the preset will be muted. If they have a dark 4X12 IR loaded in that spot and you have a bright 1X12 loaded in that spot, the preset will likely sound very bad to you as it was dialed in with an IR which is very different than what you have in that position. There is no real "fix" here, either the author will include a note about the IR and upload it so you can download it separately and update the cab block to point to it, or you can load point the cab block to whatever factory IR you want. Personally...I have much more success either using a factory preset as a template or starting from scratch than the exchange.

#3 happened recently with an far field IR Jay Mitchell posted at another forum. It was an honest mistake and is unlikely to be encountered again especially as Cliff is putting a control in place to prevent the issue in the future, so really nothing to worry about.

Maybe stick with some reputable vendors or known personalities until you get comfortable.

Two guys w/ lots of great free stuff to check out are Marco Fanton and Leon Todd.

https://www.g66.eu/it/mf-presets

Look in the Presets Thread for Leon's stuff. Just page through, should be in the first two or three pages.

Back
Top Bottom