Silent rehearsal studio

stratzrus

Inspired
I live in a duplex house and need to rig my rehearsal space for silent practice.

I'll be using my Axe FX III or FM9 with a Rivera Suprema Jazz Recording using the Fractal gear in the 4CM. Electronic drums with a direct out and a Fender Rumble Bass amp with a direct out and Electronic keyboards as well.

I assume I'll need some kind of mixer and something for headphone distribution to four musicians. I want to keep the noise level of the mixer and headphone amp to a minimum. Total cost for both not to exceed $1,500 if at all possible.

Any suggestions or recommendations you may have would be greatly appreciated. I have a month to pull this together.

Thanks.

Laugh if you will, but I recommend Zoom Livetrak L-12 or L-20. Each of the 5 (on L-12) or 6 (on the L-20) headphone monitor outs can get independent mixes. The mic pres don't matter so much with line inputs, but use balanced cables for the inputs.

And to be clear, I have seen a couple of complaints online regarding cross-channel bleed, but that is mitigated by using balanced input cables. (I use it with keys, edrums, Axe-Fx, and Fender Rumble Stage 800.)

We have been completely silent stage for about 8 years and use our rig for rehearsal as well.

It's a Mackie DL32-R digital mixer plus everyone except the drummer has a wireless IEM transmitter in the rack.

For rehearsal only, those LiveTrak mentioned above seem like a good choice.

I remember before we took the plunge I was looking at something similar that was circular and allowed for 4 or 5 paired inputs and 4-5 outputs with level controls for each person. I finally found it: JamHub... But they shut :(

There was the Roland HS-5 that is similar but also no longer made.

But while looking I did see some other options:

MOTU Monitor 8 Monitor Mixer with Headphone Amplifier & Audio Interface

https://www.sweetwater.com/c1219--I...la&seoslug=motu-monitor-8&catrollup=2/404/417

Also, the Mackie DL16 or Behringer X18 might also be good choices.

Probably for your scenario it comes down to inputs, outputs and number of individual stereo output busses. Assuming you want to allow each person an independent stereo mix (which I suggest you should).

the Jam Hub was really cool! Had used a few in diff situations like schools and churches.

They all had that awful rubbery coating on them that would decompose into a sticky goo though.

You mention needing “a mixer of some sort.” Assuming you’re rehearsing with the intention of later performing what you’ve rehearsed, I wondered what sort of mixer you had for those plans. Many mixers can facilitate a number of mono or stereo aux mixes, and a simple headphone amp is pretty cheap… especially a used unit like the Rane HC6.

We used a Presonus 32R rack mixer and IEMs live, so I just keep that rack in my music space and use it for rehearsals. Do you have anything that can do double duty in that way?

We play without sound reinforcement so a mixer isn't needed for performances. I will want to Video/Audio record some gigs at some point so being able to do double duty would be a plus.

Great question and something I have been struggling with for quite a while. I initially went the Jam Hub route which worked but was not optimal. Next, I thought about going the Behringer X-32 rack route and P16's but it seemed overly expensive and I was not happy with the first X-32 I purchased and ultimately returned. I was already in the Allen & Heath universe using a QU-16 for our band PA so I bought a QU-SB for my home studio/rehearsal/office space.... LOL.... That was good but had to jump through some hoops to get the stereo mixes for each member (5) of the band. I used Behringer P-1's which were relatively cheap. Cables all over the studio which I hid under carpet etc.. so my office wasn't a constant mess. Kept that for a while but just upgraded to Allen and Heath ME-500's. So much better but not cheap. I found a good deal and bought them used and distributed the signal via Cat 5 using an off the shelf PoE switch. I have 5 Behringer P-1's that I will part with if interested. Might same some money.

Attachments

• IMG_2291.jpeg
    IMG_2291.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2290.jpeg
    IMG_2290.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2286.jpeg
    IMG_2286.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
Back
Top Bottom